best and worst states for obgyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolbabe76

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is inspired from the "insurance" thread.
which are the best and worst states in the US for an obgyn to practice....lawsuit, insurance and lifestyle schedule wise?

Members don't see this ad.

coolbabe76 said:
which are the best and worst states in the US for an obgyn to practice....lawsuit, insurance and lifestyle schedule wise?

kansas has pretty reasonable insurance (60K) comparatively.
missouri is pretty steep i have heard, but don't know numbers.

it obviously gets more expensive the longer you have been practicing

coolbabe76 said:

ACOG red alert states

Members don't see this ad :)
thanku for that link.
you have to pardon my ignorance but can someone explain what exactly is meant by "crisis" and the meaning of the severity indicated in the figure?

coolbabe76 said:

Wow, that is really depressing. Here's a chart summarizing state caps (if any) from 2004:

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/pubresearch/2004/04tm034.pdf

Does anyone know what justification states use to deem malpractice caps "unconstitutional"?

Are there any federal laws that hold promise for passing that will impose caps?

I also want to go into Ob/Gyn but the statement "one in seven ACOG Fellows reporting that they had stopped practicing obstetrics because of the high risk of liability claims. Ob-gyns have an average of 2.6 claims filed against them during their career" freaks me out.