Best approach for next application cycle?

Started by Hzreio
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hzreio

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied the previous cycle with the following:
-507 MCAT (128/125/127/127) 3.82 cGPA 3.71 sGPA
-170 hours nonclinical volunteering; 100 hours ER dept
-450 hours research (clinical psychology)
-100 hours shadowing (60 pediatrics, 20 interventional radiology, 20 primary care)
-850 hours Piano instructor
I received 1 II at a DO school and was waitlisted

Since graduating from the University of Texas in January, I have since been studying for the MCAT and managed to pull a 520. I have added a couple hours of volunteering with habitat for humanity (~10 hours) and plan to do that more often. I have also added another ~224 hours of teaching private piano lessons as it has been a side gig for nearly the last three years now. This is not something I plan on stopping. I have recently just started a job as an ophthalmic assistant/technician at a Lasik Center so I will work extensively with patients, optometrists and ophthalmic surgeons full time now so it will probably add a boatload more clinical hours.
I plan on applying in May 2020 and feel a lot more confident in my application. I am very open to suggestions as I really want to do it right this time. My last application felt rushed and I don't think I did as much research as I should have. What advice would you have for me in terms of resources, experience or anything else in general?
I appreciate everybody's input! Thanks, and have a great day.
 
I was also wondering what the value of my 520 is too. How bad is it that its a retake? I know it would probably be more ideal if I scored that on my first go but hey **** happens:shrug:
 
you went from a 507 to a 520. You’re good to go. Apply broadly and you should receive several interviews. Make sure all written components of your application are solid. That 507 made you a borderline applicant for MD schools. That 520 opens the door every where.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied the previous cycle with the following:
-507 MCAT (128/125/127/127) 3.82 cGPA 3.71 sGPA
-170 hours nonclinical volunteering; 100 hours ER dept
-450 hours research (clinical psychology)
-100 hours shadowing (60 pediatrics, 20 interventional radiology, 20 primary care)
-850 hours Piano instructor
I received 1 II at a DO school and was waitlisted

Since graduating from the University of Texas in January, I have since been studying for the MCAT and managed to pull a 520. I have added a couple hours of volunteering with habitat for humanity (~10 hours) and plan to do that more often. I have also added another ~224 hours of teaching private piano lessons as it has been a side gig for nearly the last three years now. This is not something I plan on stopping. I have recently just started a job as an ophthalmic assistant/technician at a Lasik Center so I will work extensively with patients, optometrists and ophthalmic surgeons full time now so it will probably add a boatload more clinical hours.
I plan on applying in May 2020 and feel a lot more confident in my application. I am very open to suggestions as I really want to do it right this time. My last application felt rushed and I don't think I did as much research as I should have. What advice would you have for me in terms of resources, experience or anything else in general?
I appreciate everybody's input! Thanks, and have a great day.

How many DO schools did you apply to? And what did your non-clinical volunteering consist of?
 
How many DO schools did you apply to? And what did your non-clinical volunteering consist of?
Just that one. It was with a premed honor society so it was with various organizations but we would do things like paint houses and help out schools in underprivileged areas.