Best book for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celina08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently planning to start studying for DAT and I can't decide which book I should use for review. I know DAT destroyer is good, are there any other recommendations? Thanks:D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
destroyer (except gchem on it is too hard), topscore, schaum's biology, gre math workout books got me a 20 (22 on gchem and ochem. 19 on bio, i wasn't a bio major)

i thought the blue kaplan book was awful (do NOT try to rely solely on this source!!!) b/c its just a big thick book with a bunch of random stuff with no guidance. it takes forever to read and you really can't retain all that info anyway. i recommend kaplan the least. maybe they have practice tests that are good or something, but i never used them.

Use as many resouces as you can. Everyone learns in a diffrient way. I used destroyer, kaplan, google, top score..everything I got my hands on that had a practice test. If you put in the time, you should do well. Best of luck to you!

I am currently planning to start studying for DAT and I can't decide which book I should use for review. I know DAT destroyer is good, are there any other recommendations? Thanks:D

I found that using one book helped me more than utilizing multiple sources.
Kaplan DAT 2008-2009. Two full-length exams, comprehensive sections for each part of the test, quick study pages.

And color pictures! :thumbup: :laugh:

The only issue with Kaplan is that they don't provide enough practice exams. Go out and get as many as you can. Nothing will prepare more for the DAT than taking as many simulated tests as possible before the actual thing. You can have the PAT and didactic stuff down and still do miserably. Try to get the ones on CD that emulate what you'll see at the Prometric center.

Use as many resources as possible expecially for Biology, you will be shocked if you focus on Kaplan Blue Book for this section.

Use your undergrad Biology subject books, example genetics, ecology etc... Schaum's Biology book I hear is good too. But I stress that doing more questions is what broke that 20 mark for me!! So get the Destroyer and get a hold of all the Kaplan class exams, but no need to do the class ask a friend who took the class for the exams.

I used these and I actually saw 8 questions repeated on the actual exam.

I liked Kaplan's bio review notes, just for condensing so much material into one handy package, accompanied by Campbell's bio, columbia's High Yield Biology, and some specialty books for particular topics (i.e., ecology). I'm using GRE Math and a couple of high school geometry books for the math section. Gchem is Brown's Chemistry: the Central Science + Schaum's bio review. OChem is Carey, a couple of different sets of flashcards, and naturally, the Destroyer. Destroyer all around, really, for the sciences.

For RC I use books by Whimbey & Lochhead. There's a number of books, but a good example is Problem Solving and Comprehension. The books focus on RC, but they apply to all problem solving really. They're based on the idea of absurdly careful reading, in pairs, out loud - so that you can nitpick the **** out of one another's unwarranted assumptions and reading processes, and learn from it. I did it every night for a few hours for a month with a friend of mine, coupled with dissection of philosophy texts (where anal thinking is a big plus), and his Verbal MCAT score jumped a few grades.

PAT I'm using CrackDatPAT, and an intro textbook to engineering drafting.

For review, Kaplan BB or white book is good. Make sure to use cliffs ap bio or textbooks to supplement the bio section though. Some chapters are not covered

If I was stuck in a forest I would use every Schaum's book Ive ever bought and start a fire with them. Otherwise, theyre great at putting you to sleep if counting sheep dont work. Kaplan BB is good, but if you could get your hands on a set of subjects tests I think they're priceless! DAT Destroyer is a must, but its meant for reviewing what you know, not so much as studying from the beginning. Exam Crackers nice choice too, maybe a little overkill, but more is better.

CRACK DAT PAT ALMOST IDENTICAL! GREAT PREPARATION!

Good luck.