Best books for first year as attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peterluger

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished fellowship. What are some good resources early on after training? Furman seems more appropriate for attendinghood than Rathmell, especially when brushing up on things I haven’t done in a while. Also my colleagues in my group seem to worship SIS, while in fellowship SIS was perceived as a bit complex for more junior pain physicians

Members don't see this ad.

Furman is a great atlas and very comprehensive, SIS is very thorough in what it does cover, rathmell is just ok. The first two I would definately recommend.

I also like essentials of pain medicine as a book, its a fairly easy to read evidence based book.

Bonica is like the harrisons of pain medicine to me. Too encyclopedic for regular use but good to have.

I also have gotten pretty good use out of atlas of ultrasound musculoskeletal injections if you want to so some msk stuff - no occipital nerve blocks or tap/ilioinguinal/iliohypogastric blocks in this book.

Finally if you want/plan on doing much sports/msk Brukner and Khan Clinical sports medicine is probably the best out there imo.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think pubmed has been the best for me outside of training. Anytime I had a question or curiosity I would just research the **** out of it and save all the good articles. I refer to studies more than textbooks, but SIS, Furman, and Fenton for books.

Reactions: 2 users
Medical:

Furman's Atlas, Frontera's MSK Book, Walden Pain books. Most importantly, PubMed articles. I think the PubMed searches for literature were the best for me with specific topics.

Non-Medical:

Anything with billing, business, etc. Learn how to grow money, how to bill, best ways to run a business, how billing works, how medicine works, RVU system, HOPD vs. ACS vs. Global, etc etc. Do NOT be ignorant, you WILL BE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF by Hospital Admin, Private Equity, or Office staff. Particularly hospital administration loves to confuse you by throwing a bunch of jargon.

Reactions: 1 users
Medical:

Furman's Atlas, Frontera's MSK Book, Walden Pain books. Most importantly, PubMed articles. I think the PubMed searches for literature were the best for me with specific topics.

Non-Medical:

Anything with billing, business, etc. Learn how to grow money, how to bill, best ways to run a business, how billing works, how medicine works, RVU system, HOPD vs. ACS vs. Global, etc etc. Do NOT be ignorant, you WILL BE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF by Hospital Admin, Private Equity, or Office staff. Particularly hospital administration loves to confuse you by throwing a bunch of jargon.

Never split the difference.

Amazon product

Reactions: 2 users
Rich Dad, Poor Dad

Amazon product

I really like this book but have you ever seen this guy’s podcast or YouTube show? He’s insane. Full on covid is a govt conspiracy, buy silver because the system is collapsing in the next 6 months kinda guy.
Also never split the difference is great, one of my favorites, I’ve used it’s advice in every interview/negotiation I’ve been in.

White coat investor podcasts are ok as well (if u are completely financial illiterate)

Reactions: 1 user
I really like this book but have you ever seen this guy’s podcast or YouTube show? He’s insane. Full on covid is a govt conspiracy, buy silver because the system is collapsing in the next 6 months kinda guy.
Also never split the difference is great, one of my favorites, I’ve used it’s advice in every interview/negotiation I’ve been in.

Where did COVID come from?

Non-Medical:

Can you elaborate on some books from the non-medical section?