best books for pcat????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stl83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which pcat review books people found to be the best to prepare for the pcat?????

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, i have never seen the best book. They all lack one thing or the other. However, i would advice to buy Barron's, cliffs and Kaplan Book as a reference material. But the best bet is taking the Kaplan course which i can not afford. If i am ever to take that horrible exam again, i would study all my textbooks three months earlier then a month before the exam, i would go over those reference materials. PCAT is never about studying, it is about how quickly you could think under pressure and under 40 seconds. goodluck

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the Kaplan PCAT book my self. It was ok but if I decide to take the PCAT again I wouldn't use it. Instead I would study from my old textbooks.

The best books for PCAT are your old textbooks. I had Kaplan, but it wasn't enough to cover everything that Harcourt pulls from your years of pre-pharm classes. Also, focus more on current events related to medical fields. :thumbup:

I mostly studied from Kaplan book.
My goal wasn't to STUDY the book, but to USE it to figure out what I didn't know.

In that aspect, Kaplan was pretty good. Their questions are probably a little more difficult than actual PCAT problems and aren't necessarily the best reflection of the actual PCAT problems either.

Barron's PCAT prep book is also pretty good. They have got a bunch of practice problems.

However, what I found most useful was the practice problems from the PCAT website. I went through them and studied whatever I'd gotten wrong and I found relevent problems on the PCAT.

Remember, there is really no PCAT preb book that is a very good reflection of actual PCAT. You have to find ways to use the book...

I beg to differ, assuming you know everything from your old textbooks, how would you be able to answer questions w/o practicing them. You will easily forget in a few days or so. I took pcat and had 92 on my first try but i only read my textbooks once. I would recommend practice questions from kaplan course, question banks or pcatdoctor.com. If you need advice, PM me..goodluck in june i suppose

Mandu08-I am obviously not talking to you, so if you have already passed pcat then you shouldn't prevent other people from obtaining materials to pass too. I totally agree with pharm4sure, practice is all it takes. I am also tired of reading my old textbooks. Exercise some brain cells will you

Mandu08-I am obviously not talking to you, so if you have already passed pcat then you shouldn't prevent other people from obtaining materials to pass too. I totally agree with pharm4sure, practice is all it takes. I am also tired of reading my old textbooks. Exercise some brain cells will you

THANK YOU ! BUT, I WAS MERELY EXPRESSING MY METHOD, MY OPINION !
KEEP WORKING ON THE MATURITY AND PROFESSIONALISM !

I say this with caution, because I've seen people get ripped apart on this forum for even mentioning this, but I found the Dr. Collins packets to be very helpful and as close to the PCAT style questions as you can get. PM me about it and we can talk about it more if you're interested.