Best books for PICU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBRaysgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For someone going into a PICU fellowship, which are the best books to own for reference? I am trying to use up some of my educational funds from residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Rogers and Fuhrman are the two most common books. Our fellowship gives out Rogers to the fellows. I bought Fuhrman years ago during residency. I think I opened it like 3 times...

West physiology is pretty essential though. Again, this is given to the fellows.

The Pediatric Critical Care Study Guide by Lucking - more accessible and useful for a quick scan than Fuhrman or Rogers and only like $60

If that e-fund money is burning a hole in your pocket, it's not bad to have either Fuhrman or Rogers. In general I like Fuhrman better than Rogers, but truthfully they each have strong and weak chapters, so hard to pick one.

The Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Handbook is available from the PCICS for $40 plus shipping. It's extremely useful and is small enough to be in a coat pocket.

I loved the Illustrated Field Guide to Congenital Heart Diesease and Repair...until I lost it, which was seriously a really bad day. Was out of print for a while and hard to find, looks like it's more readily available at the moment. Not doing hearts anymore, but this would be my go to pick up if I changed jobs.

The Pediatric Cardiac Surgery book by Mavroudis and Backer is really well done and helpful to understand in more detail the operative planning and details if that is something that you think knowing that stuff would help.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The Pediatric Critical Care Study Guide by Lucking - more accessible and useful for a quick scan than Fuhrman or Rogers and only like $60

If that e-fund money is burning a hole in your pocket, it's not bad to have either Fuhrman or Rogers. In general I like Fuhrman better than Rogers, but truthfully they each have strong and weak chapters, so hard to pick one.

The Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Handbook is available from the PCICS for $40 plus shipping. It's extremely useful and is small enough to be in a coat pocket.

I loved the Illustrated Field Guide to Congenital Heart Diesease and Repair...until I lost it, which was seriously a really bad day. Was out of print for a while and hard to find, looks like it's more readily available at the moment. Not doing hearts anymore, but this would be my go to pick up if I changed jobs.

The Pediatric Cardiac Surgery book by Mavroudis and Backer is really well done and helpful to understand in more detail the operative planning and details if that is something that you think knowing that stuff would help.

For the lucking book, how much do you think being published in 2012 affects the quality? Is it out of date?

For the lucking book, how much do you think being published in 2012 affects the quality? Is it out of date?

I mean it's a non-zero effect on quality, but Chapters like "Fundamentals of Gas Exchange and the Assessment of Oxygenation and Ventilation" or "Hemodynamics" aren't exactly going to change significantly. Some of the chapters like "The Inflammatory Response" or "Genetic Predisposition to Critical Illness in the PICU" may have added a lot of new knowledge in the last 5 years, but for forming the basis of understanding, the book is probably sufficient.

I second this. Easy to understand pictures are the key to familiarizing yourself to congenital defects and their repairs.