best CBT book?

Started by spaslam
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spaslam

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to get a practical book on CBT that is easy reading before I start residency. Any suggestions?
 
Judy Beck's Basics and Beyond is considered to be the basic text of CBT for depression - it's an easy read and should give you a good flavor for the treatment.

http://www.amazon.com/Cognitive-The...6911263?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174945582&sr=8-2

However, you should also remember that CBT for specific disorders is somewhat variable (e.g., CBT for OCD is quite different than CBT for depression). I still think that the Judy Beck book will be the most useful, but a great volume outlining CBT for specific disorders is Dave Barlow's Clinical Handbook. It's invaluable - there's a chapter on each of the major disorders, with a thorough review of the literature, description of treatment procedures, and a vignette. It's excellent, but a bit dense.

http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Hand...6911263?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174945623&sr=1-2