Best climates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools have the best climates in your opinion? I dont like heat much and I dont care for long periods of cold either. hook a brutha up wit tha 411 on dis shizzle.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an undergrad at UCSD, you really can't complain about the weather here (except for today maybe, its raining). It's about 65-75 most the year, never really hot or really cold. It makes it hard to think about going anywhere else!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in Hawaii. I win. :thumbup:

Not Ohio, I'll tell you that much.

:scared: <--- "Brrr!"

i honestly cant think of a place that isnt too hot or too cold outside of california. maybe nevada but i dont think you want to go to med school there.

Denver is really nice....the summers aren't very bad at all. While the winters aren't warm they are definitely bearable.

States like Kentucky, Virgnia, and Missouri each have four distinct seasons with no extremes in any season.

Originally posted by ucsdmd2b
I'm an undergrad at UCSD, you really can't complain about the weather here (except for today maybe, its raining). It's about 65-75 most the year, never really hot or really cold. It makes it hard to think about going anywhere else!

I did my undergrad at UCSD also. Second-best weather in the country, IMHO (see below for #1 :) ).

Originally posted by rambo
I'm in Hawaii. I win. :thumbup:

I'm here in Hawaii now too. :)

Anywhere in Florida, pretty much. Today was a balmy 71 degrees and beatifully sunny in Orlando.

i'll try to post a semi-serious reply re: the weather at fl schools. gainesville gets very hot in summers, winters are very pleasant (highs in mid-60s most days). the bad part is the mosquitos, which are present about 8 months out of the year.

as for tampa, it gets hot there too, but since they're by the water there's a nice mediating effect - it almost never goes below freezing. there's some nice beaches in the bay area too.

so for the original poster, the weather in fl is quite hot. atlanta fits what you asked for best (not too hot, nor too cold).

don't even think of coming to Boston, it sucks.

"We've been on the run, driving in the sun, lookin' out for number 1...California here we come, right back where we started from..."

Well, I guess if you're not a resident you'll have to go elsewhere (most likely). Whoever said that Denver has great weather has got to be kidding me. I don't think Denver in January at 20 below is pleasant to me...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
NYC, Philly, Baltimore all have relatively warmer and less snowy weather compared to upstate NY areas and Chicago and midwest areas. From experience, Atlanta and chicago have really sh***y summers---super hot and humid--so much so that AC will have to be on 24 hrs/day because even nights are nasty. NYC, at least cools down at night at summer. Winters can get nasty in all the aforementioned cities though in terms of snow.

99.9% of the world live in sub-human climates. The rest live in Southern California. Out of staters could always apply to USC-Keck... or Loma Linda, I suppose.

Originally posted by blindsight
99.9% of the world live in sub-human climates. The rest live in Southern California. Out of staters could always apply to USC-Keck... or Loma Linda, I suppose.

This makes me feel better about where I've been accepted.

north carolina!!! seriously.

i would like to live someplace hotter since i can never seem to really get warm in any situation, but i think just abt everyone else would agree that it's got nice temperate weather, all seasons, rarely really too cold and not often too, too hot in summer.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
This makes me feel better about where I've been accepted.
That's precious. Anything else I could help you out with, champ?

Originally posted by UCSBMed1
Whoever said that Denver has great weather has got to be kidding me. I don't think Denver in January at 20 below is pleasant to me...:laugh:

Have you actually been to Denver? Because the climate here semi-desert and the temp hardly ever drops below zero. It snows occasionally here, but it usually melts the next day. The mountains get a lot of snow, which is great for skiing, but along the front range the winter temp is usually in the 40s to 50s, with many days in the 60s. The rest of the year is dry and very mild and it's sunny nearly every day. I think the weather here is great and there are distinct seasons, which is nice.:cool:

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Are you seriously trying to convice UCSBMed1?!? The guy went to UCSB for undergrad and Davis for Med school. Your Denver just can't compete with the weather in SB!... :cool: Although the temp hardly ever drops below zero, the point is that it does! :eek: Sorry. I spent time in the snow and am now overly biased towards Cali. I graduated from SB too:D

No, I'm not trying to convince UCSBMed1. I really don't care what he thinks of Denver. I was just pointing out that his info was not really accurate and putting in a plug for Denver myself. That's cool if you guys are very happy in Cali, but some people like like snow and more of a variety in weather.

A topic on best climate and no one even mentioned miami? What planet are you guys on? You simply cannot beat 70-80 degree winter days and 90 degree (read: beach time), summer days. Sure, San Diego and some other cities on the west coast might match it, but not having to ever bring out the winter coat surely earns miami a spot on the list.

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Almost tried MD/PhD app at UW since they allow out of state MSTP people. Nice weather (if you can deal with rain and don't mind a buying a little S.A.D. lamp for the winter months).

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that said Vancouver BC/Western Washington State and some tropical island paradise like Tahiti or Bermuda supposedly were the nicest places to live "climately speaking". So I guess UW is the spot according to the article. However, you do have to like the rain.

Originally posted by carrie198
No, I'm not trying to convince UCSBMed1. I really don't care what he thinks of Denver. I was just pointing out that his info was not really accurate and putting in a plug for Denver myself. That's cool if you guys are very happy in Cali, but some people like like snow and more of a variety in weather.

Yeah. There was one subzero, windy cold snap that lasted about two days in January, one of which happened on a CU Med interview day, I think. Those folks probably left thinking Denver is an arctic wasteland. The thing was, a week later people were walking around in shorts. It's usually really nice in Denver in the winter...not tropical by any means, but definitely not what I'd call "cold."

Originally posted by Gollum
NYC, Philly, Baltimore all have relatively warmer and less snowy weather compared to upstate NY areas and Chicago and midwest areas. From experience, Atlanta and chicago have really sh***y summers---super hot and humid--so much so that AC will have to be on 24 hrs/day because even nights are nasty. NYC, at least cools down at night at summer. Winters can get nasty in all the aforementioned cities though in terms of snow.

Real men live in Chicago... and the first word out of their mouths on clear January days is, invariably, "****."

Originally posted by IrishOarsman
Real men live in Chicago... and the first word out of their mouths on clear January days is, invariably, "****."

:laugh:

There are other medical schools in CA besides the UCs (Stanford, Loma Linda . . . ), I really don't think you can beat CA for weather. While we are on the subject-anyone have any advice on how to deal with cold weather?
-Northern CA girl movin to Philadelphia for med school

p.s. go UCSD (I'm finally an offical alumni)