Best combo for learning path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icefan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heya kiddies,

I hope everyone is doing well-- dam* the man, save the empire! ;)

In any case, I was wondering if you could give any advice on which books to use as FA and Qbank supplements for path?

Kaplan Lecture Notes for each organ system
BRS Path
Goljan audio

... mm actually those are the only ones I know. So if you could tell what you loved/hated about these and any others I'd be very thankful.

tia

Members don't see this ad.

Hi ice...I'm new here but I thought I'd get started by replying to you as I'm in the midst of study right now. Personally I'm finding the best pathology resources to be the goljan audio (an absolute must), the goljan 100pp, and Robbins Review of Pathology. The goljan audio is fantastic for tying together basic principles and concepts, if you're short on time you can listen to it at 1/5 or 2x in windows media player. I'm going through the Goljan 100pp now and there is a ton of information here, though some of it dips into minutiae I think it gives a great review in 100pp of high yield information and you could get through it in a few days. As for my third option, RRP...fantastic questions and explanations. At first glance I thought it would be a bit too much pathology and not enough clinical relevance for the boards but after going through all of the gen path section and a good bit of the systems I'm finding that every stem is a thorough clinical scenario (probably more thorough than NBME or the boards) and the explanations are brilliant.

I also think webpath is great for a free resource and nailing your histopathology! Anyway....best of luck

Goljan 100pp is a 100 page collection of his high yeild notes, I purchased mine with his audio from ebay. It's a lot of one liners (e.g. baby bleeds after circumcision on 10th day in a mother who is breast feeding - no vatmin K in breast milk or 25 year old man who initially presented to hospital with hemoptysis has progressed into renal failure - linear flourescence on biopsy wit RPGN, Goodpastures...etc, etc) The copy I have is from 2002 so I'm sure the NBME has caught on, but it's still a nice review of pathology if you can find it! Try searching through past posts on here!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Goljan Audio, BRS Path, and Robbins Review is a perfect combo. I just wish there was an updated version of Goljan. I am amazed that someone from OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine hasn't recorded the lectures he gives his students. Sure it would be longer than 40 hours but complete.

I think the only must-have is Robbins Review of Pathology.

BRS Path and Rapid Review Path are both great.

I only listened to a couple of hours of Goljan audio before I scrapped it. It's good for a lot of people but don't be afraid to let it go if it's not your style.

I don't have anything new to add here because everyone has offered good advice. But I can't help myself anyway. The power-trio for path is:

1) Goljan Rapid Review Path: A brilliant, integrative, quick read
2) Goljan Audio: TONS of useful concepts in here
3) Robbin's Review Question book: Hard and slow-going but builds your stamina.

If this takes up about 50% of your study time you will be in good shape.

Can someone tell me what the golijan 100 pg and 36pg things are? I assume these are sep from the rapid review series.

I picked up the audio as some of you have recommended and really appreciate the advice. Where do you get the 100pg one?

raptor5 said:
I think Goljan Audio, BRS Path, and Robbins Review is a perfect combo. I just wish there was an updated version of Goljan. I am amazed that someone from OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine hasn't recorded the lectures he gives his students. Sure it would be longer than 40 hours but complete.

I guess the new Rapid Review is due out in November according to amazon.com.