Technology Best Computer for School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been computer shopping for med school and I'm not sure which direction I'd like to go--Mac BookPro or Gateway Tablet. I hit the point where I'm fed up with Windows, but I love the Tablet style computer. I'm wondering which is better for school...Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I've been computer shopping for med school and I'm not sure which direction I'd like to go--Mac BookPro or Gateway Tablet. I hit the point where I'm fed up with Windows, but I love the Tablet style computer. I'm wondering which is better for school...Any suggestions?

cnet.com

Good reviews on whatever you fancy.

I'm not a big Max fan to be honest, but that's b/c I think MS software is user friendly (and I can use Adobe software for film / photo editing). Although the dual-OS is a tempting feature on Mac OS, I see myself using Windows most of the time...

I'd take a look at Toshiba laptops...

Members don't see this ad :)
Macbook Pro
I resisted Macs but my wife (graphic design major) insisted
It took about a week to be 100% cinvinced that Macs are superier to pc's
OS X is amazing just take the time to learn it (about a week)
Once you go Mac you never go back
I know that was Bad! but Oh So True

Your more than welcome to go mac, it seems that everyone who has one likes them, though sometimes to me it seems more like a religion than a choice based on performance.

Keep in mind though that I have yet to see a hospital that uses Macs, so if you are already technical adept then you don't have to worry about it, but if you are looking at becoming familia with the systems you will be using the rest of your life get a windows based machine. Also you will not have OneNote and I don't know why you would spend the money on a tablet without OneNote.

And here come the mac purists....

I got a MacBook for my first year and have enjoyed it. I've always used a Windows based machine, but the MacOS was easy to learn - and once I got the hang of it, I like it better than Windows. (side note: I was a CS major in undergrad and MacOS runs on a unix-like core, thus it's great if you're used to working in a linux environment).

Like others have said, Windows certainly is the standard - but because of that you'll continue to use windows on school computers and won't 'forget' how to navigate XP.

Of course, you pay a premium for macs - is it worth it? maybe - all I can say is that I'd do it again. But as for the MacBook Pro - unless you plan on doing some serious gaming or movie editing, you don't need the pro (in short, as a med student, you will not need the Pro). The macbook has similar specs for a whole lot less $$. Also tablets are neato - but I don't think they are really designed for med school because you can type much faster than you can write, and (at least where I am) there is little need to draw pictures.