Best Computers/Tablets for DPT classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stemaba

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all!

I've been starting my research on which computer/tablet I'm wanting to get for my DPT program, but I wanted to reach out to everyone to see what has worked best for you?

Is it easier to have one that allows typing AND handwritten (electronic) notes? Have you gotten away with just typing a lot? Handwriting on paper? I realize that programs can be different in the way information is presented, but I wanted to get an idea as to what has worked best for you.

I usually prefer Apple for laptops, but am willing to look around and find what might be best.

THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

I have been thinking about this as well! I’ve been looking into getting an iPad with the stylus pen. And I’m also wondering what apps people suggest for note taking? I’ve heard of Notability and Good Notes, but I’m unsure of what would be best if anyone has suggestiosn

I was also wondering if anyone has used a Surface Pro before and liked that more than an iPad?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've thought about getting an iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil and using either Notability or Good Notes. The price of the iPad is the only thing that is holding me back.

I’m a first year PT student and I cannot stress enough how much I LOVE my iPad. It is probably the best investment I have made. I got it at the end of my first semester and it had made such a difference in my note taking and studying because I’m able to download PowerPoints and write directly on them in Notability as well as record lectures. It’s so convenient and definitely worth the money.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m a first year PT student and I cannot stress enough how much I LOVE my iPad. It is probably the best investment I have made. I got it at the end of my first semester and it had made such a difference in my note taking and studying because I’m able to download PowerPoints and write directly on them in Notability as well as record lectures. It’s so convenient and definitely worth the money.
How much storage did you get? I am curious how much I would need to hold all the powerpoints/notes/apps. :)

I bought an iPad pro on OfferUp and it's probably the best investment I've made since starting school. Lighter to carry in my backpack than my laptop. Note-taking is easier to do and you can record lectures with notability. I definitely recommend buying an iPad pro or a tablet surface that you can write on.

To everyone recommending iPad Pro— just a heads up normal newer iPads also work with apple pencils! Just double check on the Apple website to make sure they’re compatible. I got one about a year and a half ago to use for my undergrad physics classes and it’s just a normal iPad and it works great with the pencil! So you don’t have to shell out that extra money if you don’t need to. But I also know that some programs require all of the students to use a certain technology, like I think I remember reading on the U Maryland info that they require all of their students to use a certain dell computer or something.

I bought an iPad pro on OfferUp and it's probably the best investment I've made since starting school. Lighter to carry in my backpack than my laptop. Note-taking is easier to do and you can record lectures with notability. I definitely recommend buying an iPad pro or a tablet surface that you can write on.

Do you have the 11 or 13 inch iPad Pro?

How much storage did you get? I am curious how much I would need to hold all the powerpoints/notes/apps. :)
I got the 256GB storage one because I was worried about running out of space. I’m not sure if that was necessary but I thought it was better to spend a bit more and be assured that I would always have enough space!

I like my Surface Pro a lot. I don't know how it would compare with an iPad, but I do know that it's easy to use, nice to write on/with, and easily portable.

Do you have the 11 or 13 inch iPad Pro?
I have the 11 inch ipad pro. The size really doesn't matter, it just depends on what do you prefer. Smaller the size, the cheaper it will be.

I have yet to start school (May start, program TBD) but was bored and obsessed over optimized note taking and study setups in November and December.

With note taking as the primary focus, and other computer tasks secondary, I mulled between the Surface Pro, iPad, and iPad Pro. After some research I decided to to go with the 12.9 inch iPad Pro, along with the Apple Pencil 2, Apple Smart Keyboard Folio, and a “paperlike” screen protector from Amazon. Keep in mind I have never owned a MacBook or iPad prior so this was quite the jump. It was definitely an investment, but I wanted to best set myself up for success in PT school and have a device that was not only top of the line for note taking, but highly capable with other tasks.

If you already own a laptop or want something strictly for note taking, it sounded like you could get by fine with an iPad and Apple Pencil 1, and save $500+. You could also save a couple hundred bucks by getting the 11” iPad Pro, or one with less memory.

After receiving an Amazon gift card for Christmas, I purchased a Bluetooth mouse and USB C hub as well. With a pencil, keyboard, wireless mouse, and USB C Hub, I would guess that you can complete nearly all school related tasks, and have near full functionality of a laptop. The only major differences I’ve noticed between my old laptop and this current iPad Pro setup are slower scrolling and the inability to right click when using a mouse. Both of these make excel and word just a tad more difficult to use. If you already own a laptop, or plan to buy one prior to school, you should be set for larger tasks/projects/desktop setups.

As for note taking apps, I went with Notability over good notes or Evernote and have been practicing so I can hit the ground running come PT school. The ability to upload and annotate PDF’s/pictures, erase/move things around, and most importantly search through handwritten notes have been game changers so far. A few SPT’s I met during my interviews said Essential Anatomy 5 was the go-to anatomy app, so I downloaded and am familiarizing myself with that as well. As for anatomy texts, Netter’s Atlas of Human Anatomy was the most recommended.

Cost of my setup (everything was purchased between Black Friday/Christmas so current prices are likely different):

$999 12.9” iPad Pro, 256GB (Costco)

$120 Apple Pencil 2 (Amazon)

$180 Apple Smart Keyboard Folio (Amazon)

$32 Paperlike screen protector 2pack (Amazon)

$50 MX Master 2 Mouse (Amazon)

$30 Anker USB C Hub (Amazon - Ports for USB 3.0, HDMI, SD card, microSD, ethernet)

$5 Notability (App store, apple only)

$25 Essential Anatomy 5 (App store)

$78 Netter’s Atlas of Human Anatomy (Amazon)

Below are some vids you may find useful. They are all from current or former med students. I figured if I learn how to take notes/study like a med student, PT school will be much more manageable.

iPad Pro Note Taking

iPad vs. iPad Pro (watch or skip to 3:19)

Notability vs. Goodnotes

Notability 101

ELITE study setup

Studying Tips

Study LESS, Study SMART – What I Wish I Knew in College

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your decision making process!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I have yet to start school (May start, program TBD) but was bored and obsessed over optimized note taking and study setups in November and December.

With note taking as the primary focus, and other computer tasks secondary, I mulled between the Surface Pro, iPad, and iPad Pro. After some research I decided to to go with the 12.9 inch iPad Pro, along with the Apple Pencil 2, Apple Smart Keyboard Folio, and a “paperlike” screen protector from Amazon. Keep in mind I have never owned a MacBook or iPad prior so this was quite the jump. It was definitely an investment, but I wanted to best set myself up for success in PT school and have a device that was not only top of the line for note taking, but highly capable with other tasks.

If you already own a laptop or want something strictly for note taking, it sounded like you could get by fine with an iPad and Apple Pencil 1, and save $500+. You could also save a couple hundred bucks by getting the 11” iPad Pro, or one with less memory.

After receiving an Amazon gift card for Christmas, I purchased a Bluetooth mouse and USB C hub as well. With a pencil, keyboard, wireless mouse, and USB C Hub, I would guess that you can complete nearly all school related tasks, and have near full functionality of a laptop. The only major differences I’ve noticed between my old laptop and this current iPad Pro setup are slower scrolling and the inability to right click when using a mouse. Both of these make excel and word just a tad more difficult to use. If you already own a laptop, or plan to buy one prior to school, you should be set for larger tasks/projects/desktop setups.

As for note taking apps, I went with Notability over good notes or Evernote and have been practicing so I can hit the ground running come PT school. The ability to upload and annotate PDF’s/pictures, erase/move things around, and most importantly search through handwritten notes have been game changers so far. A few SPT’s I met during my interviews said Essential Anatomy 5 was the go-to anatomy app, so I downloaded and am familiarizing myself with that as well. As for anatomy texts, Netter’s Atlas of Human Anatomy was the most recommended.

Cost of my setup (everything was purchased between Black Friday/Christmas so current prices are likely different):

$999 12.9” iPad Pro, 256GB (Costco)

$120 Apple Pencil 2 (Amazon)

$180 Apple Smart Keyboard Folio (Amazon)

$32 Paperlike screen protector 2pack (Amazon)

$50 MX Master 2 Mouse (Amazon)

$30 Anker USB C Hub (Amazon - Ports for USB 3.0, HDMI, SD card, microSD, ethernet)

$5 Notability (App store, apple only)

$25 Essential Anatomy 5 (App store)

$78 Netter’s Atlas of Human Anatomy (Amazon)

Below are some vids you may find useful. They are all from current or former med students. I figured if I learn how to take notes/study like a med student, PT school will be much more manageable.

iPad Pro Note Taking

iPad vs. iPad Pro (watch or skip to 3:19)

Notability vs. Goodnotes

Notability 101

ELITE study setup

Studying Tips

Study LESS, Study SMART – What I Wish I Knew in College

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your decision making process!

THIS ROCKS. Thank you so much!!!!! Very helpful

You need to be able to write QUICKLY in PT school. It doesn't matter what device you have, as long as you can keep up at a very fast pace. For this I would recommend a normal laptop (full keyboard) or pen/paper. I had a classmate who was always fiddling with a tablet and stylus and it looked horrible to use.

As far as a laptop, you don't need anything fancy. You need access to the internet and Microsoft Office.

I like my Surface Pro a lot. I don't know how it would compare with an iPad, but I do know that it's easy to use, nice to write on/with, and easily portable.
Same here, I have a Surface Pro 2 and I love using it for notes, especially physics/chem where you need to visualize things and draft out forces, etc...

Hey y'all!

I've been starting my research on which computer/tablet I'm wanting to get for my DPT program, but I wanted to reach out to everyone to see what has worked best for you?

Is it easier to have one that allows typing AND handwritten (electronic) notes? Have you gotten away with just typing a lot? Handwriting on paper? I realize that programs can be different in the way information is presented, but I wanted to get an idea as to what has worked best for you.

I usually prefer Apple for laptops, but am willing to look around and find what might be best.

THANKS

I used the laptop I already had, the simplest one, which worked just fine. I did not write or type almost anything in class since all class notes were provided online. I just copied and paste information I wanted to study in a Word doc and printed it to study if I wanted to.