Best Course of Action?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicMD181

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I am 29 years old, taking pre-reqs for medical school. I currently have a bachelor's in psychology (GPA 3.1) and a master's in education (GPA 3.9). I am also a paramedic (GPA 4.0) with a good amount of clinical experience. I am currently working full time so I am only taking one course right now - calculus I. I previously took calc I as an undergraduate about 10 years ago and I got an A in the class. I enrolled in the class again because I thought it would be a good review before taking physics. Now I'm thinking I made a mistake. My grades in the class aren't too great and I'm expecting a B as a final grade in the class. I still have the option of withdrawing from the class. My question is...would it look ok on a med school app to withdraw from calc I being that I did get an A in the class previously or would a withdraw on my transcript look bad when I apply to medical school? I anticipate my grades in the remainder of my science classes to be all A's due to a different attitude toward learning than I had during my undergraduate years (hence the 3.1 GPA). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would withdraw, calc is not on the MCAT and I cannot see the benefit of having any grade other than A on your transcript, this may look bad if you've got a lot of Ws but if not, I'd pull out now.

At my school, there was a calc-based and an algebra based physics sequence. MCAT and all the med schools that I looked at were fine with the algebra based version.