Best Course Sequencing for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on dedicating the summer after my sophomore year to MCAT prep for the August MCAT and get it out of the way while the info is freshest. Below is the listing of my tentative layout:

Freshman Year
Gen. Biology Sequence
Calc Based Physics Sequence
Gen. Chemistry Sequence (Summer)

Sophomore Year
Cell & Molecular Biology
Molecular Genetics
Organic Chem Sequence
Modern Physics
Intro to Mathematical Physics

Physics is my major so I need the upper level physics classes in there to graduate on time.

I am looking for some feedback from others who have done it or potential pros/cons with the plan.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think its a good idea.
if you were to be asked in an interview how you spent your summer would you rather say, i did a research program with the NIH or I studied for the mcat. use your summer to do an enrinching program, not study from books.
while it sucks studying for the mcat during classes, its still possible, just plan a lighter load and do something in the summer you wouldn't be able to do during the school year.

nishi said:
if you were to be asked in an interview how you spent your summer would you rather say, i did a research program with the NIH or I studied for the mcat. use your summer to do an enrinching program, not study from books.
while it sucks studying for the mcat during classes, its still possible, just plan a lighter load and do something in the summer you wouldn't be able to do during the school year.

Many people take the MCAT the summer after their sophomore year. They may not do enrichment programs, but they volunteer throughout the year and do research throughout the regular year as well. Actually, in some cases it has been a good thing to do the MCAT after sophomore year because it has helped some of my friends to get it out of the way so they could do other important things.

nishi said:

Are you kidding?

Most people take summer school with premed courses, and most people don't do research. Taking the MCAT classes = studying for the MCAT.

OSUdoc08 said:
Are you kidding?

Most people take summer school with premed courses, and most people don't do research. Taking the MCAT classes = studying for the MCAT.

I totally agree with you.