best credit card to build credit score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byronic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As it stands right now I have no credit and I have between 13-16 months before medical school starts. I've been looking at opening a credit card and ive seen a number of possibilities.

I think what I am looking for is a card with no annual fee, high cashback rewards, and a high interest rate (i plan to pay everything immediately, so the interest rate is irrelevant. higher interest rates = better cashback rewards?)

anyone have any advice on which credit card i should sign up for? to reiterate, i have absolutely no credit history up to this point.

Members don't see this ad.

The visa card offered by Charles Schwab offers 2% cashback on everything. Every month, the cashback gets automatically deposited into your Schwab brokerage account. There's no annual fees as far as I know. I also pay it off monthly, so I don't care/know what the interest rate is.

i would jump on that...but it seems that schwab doesnt offer it anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not CC savvy, but I still have a Student Platinum Citicard with a $3000 limit; my limit could be increased to $4000. My rate is 12.224% but will raise to 29.XXX% if I miss a payment. It is 1% cash back, but if you use the online marketplace rates can be much higher. Having the card for about a year, my credit score raised from just over 600 to about 740. I had changed nothing with bills, except for the fact that I accrued a lot more debt for medical school. I have a 4-5 year history of credit starting with undergrad loans.

The visa card offered by Charles Schwab offers 2% cashback on everything. Every month, the cashback gets automatically deposited into your Schwab brokerage account. There's no annual fees as far as I know. I also pay it off monthly, so I don't care/know what the interest rate is.

Best card ever!

Anyone have any suggestions in terms of available credit cards...?

Sigh if only i looked into this before march...

Agreed! No FOREX fees when using overseas either!

i too am a fan of this one!

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/why-schwab-visas-2o-percent-rebate-may-fall/

here is a link about the schwab visa on NYT's money blog....if they are not offering it anymore, i know fidelity is still doing their 2% cashback AMEX. However, it is AMEX (if that matters to you) and does not waive foreign transaction fees, like schwab. the schwab card is money, every month i see more money magically deposited into my linked acct....a nice way to set up a 'rainy day' fund

What about cards specifically for gas? I've heard of some that offer 5% back on gas and I thought it might be nice to carry one of those in addition to the Schwab card. Any suggestions?

I like bankrate.com because they really break down all of the credit cards. If your credit score is good to excellent, there are some really good cards out there. I did a search for you.

Pentagon Federal card for gas (5% off all gas purchases)
Charles Schwab card for everything else (2% off everything + benefits noted above)

I recently did some research to find credit cards. Use nerdwallet.com to compare. I ended up using capitol one venture which is 2% cash back (reimburses for any travel expense).

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/711457/

If you are really interested in the cashback rewards, my suggestions would be to track what you spend for a month and catergorize what you spend. If you are pretty even across the catergories, get a card that offers a flat cashback rate across all categories. If there's areas where you seem to spend a bulk of your money, you may want to consider getting a card that caters to your spending habits (i.e. 5% back on gas, fast food, etc. and 1% on all others).

The link I posted above is a collection of various cards some of which may have been discontinued. Nevertheless, it's a good collection of the various cards with cashback on a variety of categories.

For the Citi card, do medical school students qualify as 'college students'? There's no mention in the terms and conditions about if graduate schools count.

American Express Blue Cash - 5% cashback on groceries, gas, and drugstore once you reach over $6500. (1% before that).

Google the blue cash calculator.

Citi mtvU Visa.

Up to 2000 ThankYou Points per semester for maintaining a good GPA
25 ThankYou Points per month for paying your bill on time and not exceeding your credit limit
5 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent at restaurants--including fast food--bookstores, music stores, video rental stores and movie theaters
1 ThankYou Point for every $1 spent on all other purchases

Other one I use mainly is Citi Driver's Edge.
• 6% rebates on everyday purchases—at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations—for the first 12 months.
• 3% rebates at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations after your introductory 12-month period.
• 1% rebates on all other types of purchases.

Also get a penny a mile you drive in rebates.