1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Detergent.

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by loo, Dec 16, 2008.

1. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Hey All-

Other than torching my coveralls, can anybody suggest a good detergent that will get out that lovely pig poop smell? So far, Gain has sorta worked, but it's hard to find it stocked consistently in my neck of the woods.

I'm looking for a detergent that won't disintegrate my clothes or my skin...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. projekt

projekt UGA c/o 2012
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    There are products now that have febreez in them.

Also, try adding borax or Arm & Hammer Washing Soda.

4. DrDRBaker2B

DrDRBaker2B UIL CVM Class of 2011!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I work at a hog farm, I will check this weekend to see what detergent they use (that is when I work again) . I find it seems to work. Also washing them immediately with Cheer seems to work for the clothes I wear under the coveralls.

5. Electrophile

Electrophile Working Dog Doc
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Have you tried dunking it in an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle? I buy that stuff by the gallon. :rolleyes:

6. winterfire1203

winterfire1203 VMRCVM Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I usually do a healthy dose of scented bleach (hate the smell of standard bleach) and then just my regular detergent (all). I also clean all my pig stuff immediately. Coveralls come off before I hit the car and go in a bag which I tie really tight and from there they get dumped in the washer. Cold water. Seems to work for mine, but then I've only spent a couple hours at most running around with pigs so maybe the smell just doesn't have time to set in. ;-)

7. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    ...tried it but developed a funky, guttae-like rash on my arms and legs. Needless to say, I didn't use it again.

8. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I do the same, but I let 'em soak in cold water/detergent for a little while before actually washing them. This has cut down "residual" smell considerably.

Hmmm. There's definitely a market out there for specific veterinary detergent formulations. For example, companies could have "Dairy Barn Formulation", or "Stubborn Pig S**t Remover", or my personal favorite, "Anal Gland Buster".

9. DrDRBaker2B

DrDRBaker2B UIL CVM Class of 2011!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    So at the hog farm I work at, they use the product BANG ultra concentrate in industrial size (probably from Sam's club). They also use a touch of Wisk (I think that is what it is called) liquid detergent. Then in the dryer they use an off brand dryer sheet. The combination seems to work for all of their coveralls, sweaters, etc. I know they smell better after washing than before. Hope this helps!

10. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Thanks for all your suggestions!:)

Off to buy some new detergent and off brand fabric sheets...:xf:

11. BrumleyVet

BrumleyVet Oldie but a wanna be!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I've found that All not works on the clothes (my kids have shown FFA for years), but it works on the pigs as well! If it can get the smell out of the Carharts and FFA courdroy jackets it will work on your overalls!