Best dissecting kits/equipment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LSUVetGirl10

LSU SVM C/O 2015!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year vet student at LSU, and we need to get dissecting kits for anatomy. We can buy them through the school but they are the cheapest kits they can find. I was looking to get a nicer kit for my birthday that will last me for several years. Does anyone know of a supplier or specific brands so that I can shop around? I'm not even sure what types of instruments I'll need if I wanted to buy them individually.

Help, please!

-Janet

Members don't see this ad.

The dissection kit that the bookstore provides cover almost all of your bases.

One thing that they do not include in the kit is a sharpened probe, which is almost essential when trying to find the nerves in the tissues.

The rat-tooth forceps they provide are good for small arteries, veins, and nerves, but I wanted a pair of forceps with a broad jaw. I think it was the russian forceps that I wanted.

It was convenient to have the scalpel that they provided so that I could just drop by the bookstore when I needed more blades, but a larger scalpel could have been useful for second semester when we were dealing with large animals and large incisions.

I'm not sure about brands or suppliers, but these are the extra stuff that I would want to get.

Congrats on being accepted by the way. See you this fall.

One thing that they do not include in the kit is a sharpened probe, which is almost essential when trying to find the nerves in the tissues.

I thought the professors sharpened our probes in anatomy during the year... for those who wanted one?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just thought I'd mention that your dissection kit gets kind of nasty and is forever imprinted with anatomy smell. I don't think anyone in our class kept them beyond first year--and I don't think anyone would have wanted to.... unless it was to give to their little sibs.

I lost my anatomy kit sometime studying for the first exam... they get traded around between group members (because when there's four probes on the table and class if over, no one wants to figure out what belongs to who)... they get disgusting... really not worth spending money on. You could always get yourself some scrubs or coveralls if you want to get something vetty.

I lost my anatomy kit sometime studying for the first exam... they get traded around between group members (because when there's four probes on the table and class if over, no one wants to figure out what belongs to who)... they get disgusting... really not worth spending money on.

Same here! I lost my probe and thumb forceps! They were eaten by the lab and never to be found again.

Granted, if you got tools that were really high quality (like what our professors used) they could be differentiated from everyone else's run-of-the-mill utensils (usually larger and sturdier), but it's true, I don't think I'd spend money on a really good dissecting kit just yet. Perhaps buy an extra lab coat (a VERY useful suggestion btw..), or invest in a really good stethoscope? You won't need the stethoscope just yet, but in time you will. That was a graduation present for me :)

My group put different colored slick tape on our instruments so we knew whose were whose. None of us lost anything! :)

We had the crappy kits though, so no huge deal either way.