Quantcast

Best endeavors for M3 before Obgyn Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack P

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi all...

I searched through other threads to make sure I'm not repeating but I wanted to ask a simple question for those of you in residency that may be able to look back and see what you did or could have done differently to set yourself up for a top ob/gyn program. I'm a male M3 with a strong Step 1 (>250) and only two publications with a strong desire to pursue Ob/Gyn, what are the best things I can do to set myself up for the application year? I've been through the third world on elective and thought about going back for 6 weeks at Baragwanath in SA, Africa for an intense Ob/Gyn experience and follow it up with a couple of aways at various programs (Gyn Onc MD Anderson, MFM BID). Am trying to get into some Gyn research at my program though my schedule is pretty tight this year. What are the top programs looking for? Community service? Step II score? Away electives? Research? First author pubs? Any advice or wisdom would be appreciated!

MeowMix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know about positioning yourself for a top residency, but as far as preparation: I asked our chair (at a big program) what he wished the residents knew more about. The answers were, renal pathophys, derm, and do a subI in intensive care, because we use those skills and principles all the time and we won't learn them during an ob residency.

Jack P

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion...for setting up my away electives I'm torn between doing one or two in ob/gyn subspecialities and doing aways in specialities that I'm deficient in or perceive that I could be deficient in for the future (e.g. ICU) As an applicant do residency PDs look favorably on students with a large amount of OR time, deliveries, etc as an example of their dedication to the specialty or would they rather have applicants with varied experience?

WhoisJohnGalt

NYC Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion...for setting up my away electives I'm torn between doing one or two in ob/gyn subspecialities and doing aways in specialities that I'm deficient in or perceive that I could be deficient in for the future (e.g. ICU) As an applicant do residency PDs look favorably on students with a large amount of OR time, deliveries, etc as an example of their dedication to the specialty or would they rather have applicants with varied experience?

Couldn't you do both? Is your fourth year not very flexible?