Best FL's?

Started by MoDiddy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MoDiddy

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So far I plan on doing all AAMC material (sample test, 2 FL's), 5 EK FL's, 3 Kaplan and 10 NS FL's

Should I switch the NS FL's with more Kaplan or TPR? What are your thoughts on NS FL's?

I've searched previous threads but can't get a definitive answer.

Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AAMC > EK > NS > TPR = Kaplan. This is just an opinion other than AAMC. AAMC is undeniably the best practice material out there.
 
Kaplan was not comparable to the real thing. Next Step was as convoluted and complex as the real deal if not more. Idk about EK
 
They're not very well-known but I used the 10 Altius exams and really liked them. I found them to be quite similar to the real thing. I also bought the 4 EK exams but only ended up taking 2 because I didn't like them as much.
 
They're not very well-known but I used the 10 Altius exams and really liked them. I found them to be quite similar to the real thing. I also bought the 4 EK exams but only ended up taking 2 because I didn't like them as much.
Thanks!
 
They're not very well-known but I used the 10 Altius exams and really liked them. I found them to be quite similar to the real thing. I also bought the 4 EK exams but only ended up taking 2 because I didn't like them as much.

What did you feel was wrong with EK?
 
The Kaplan full lengths were much harder (and CARS sections much longer) than the real test. In retrospect, I wouldn't have had it any other way.
 
I took at least 1 practice test from almost every company out there

AAMC > EK = NS >= Atlius > Kaplan > TPR > GS

Started with atlius bc 10 pretty solid exams was a great deal. Then did NS. Then Aamc scored. Then EK. Then Aamc unscored. Then section banks and qpacks
 
I took at least 1 practice test from almost every company out there

AAMC > EK = NS >= Atlius > Kaplan > TPR > GS

Started with atlius bc 10 pretty solid exams was a great deal. Then did NS. Then Aamc scored. Then EK. Then Aamc unscored. Then section banks and qpacks

I've heard exams from NS are way too complicated, especially Bio/Biochem
 
I've heard exams from NS are way too complicated, especially Bio/Biochem
There's no such thing as too complicated. U afraid of being over prepared for one of the most high stakes exams in your life?

Both NS and EK are convicted and complicated. It's what makes them better than the other companies. Bc you improve your intuition and detailed knowledge /minutiae at the same time if you review properly.

I got a 70% avg for B/B in EK and 84% in NS. Got a 98%ile score on the real thing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I say AAMC official > NS > anything else.

Save AAMC stuff for last as they are closest to the actual test
 
I disagree. I loved the B/B and C/P sections on the NS. I scored 99th percentile in both of those sections on the real exam and I attribute it heavily to NextStep

But was your practice score as high as your real one?
 
So far I plan on doing all AAMC material (sample test, 2 FL's), 5 EK FL's, 3 Kaplan and 10 NS FL's

What is your study timeline? IMO, unless you're planning on something like 1 FL per week for the next 6 months, this is way too many. I did around 10 in 2 months and that was even too much to that point that it was counterproductive.

It's important to do a good number of FL's under test-like conditions to build stamina and timing, but there are diminishing returns. Time spent reviewing the tests is where you make most of the real progress, and if you're attempting to take 20 FL's you'll likely not spend as much time as you should on reviewing.
 
What is your study timeline? IMO, unless you're planning on something like 1 FL per week for the next 6 months, this is way too many. I did around 10 in 2 months and that was even too much to that point that it was counterproductive.

It's important to do a good number of FL's under test-like conditions to build stamina and timing, but there are diminishing returns. Time spent reviewing the tests is where you make most of the real progress, and if you're attempting to take 20 FL's you'll likely not spend as much time as you should on reviewing.

Full length practice should begin during the middle of your MCAT plan, After most content review is complete. You should aim to spend the same amount of time reviewing as it takes to complete the exam. From there, you will know your weak points and what to focus on. Aim to complete one FL per week until test day. However don't do any full lengths the week before the exam
 
Full length practice should begin during the middle of your MCAT plan, After most content review is complete. You should aim to spend the same amount of time reviewing as it takes to complete the exam. From there, you will know your weak points and what to focus on. Aim to complete one FL per week until test day. However don't do any full lengths the week before the exam

I would budget about 2-3x as much time for reviewing than it takes to complete the exam, unless you're a total boss and cruised through easily. For me, there were always new concepts I needed to learn, and passages that took a lot of time to work through until I truly understood them. You want to make sure that you actually learn something and fix your deficits, so that if you see a related question in the future you'll get it right.
 
I would budget about 2-3x as much time for reviewing than it takes to complete the exam, unless you're a total boss and cruised through easily. For me, there were always new concepts I needed to learn, and passages that took a lot of time to work through until I truly understood them. You want to make sure that you actually learn something and fix your deficits, so that if you see a related question in the future you'll get it right.

True. I meant to put at least as much time. Although there are new concepts one must solidify, there are also questions which are routine once you're deep into your review.
 
What is your study timeline? IMO, unless you're planning on something like 1 FL per week for the next 6 months, this is way too many. I did around 10 in 2 months and that was even too much to that point that it was counterproductive.

It's important to do a good number of FL's under test-like conditions to build stamina and timing, but there are diminishing returns. Time spent reviewing the tests is where you make most of the real progress, and if you're attempting to take 20 FL's you'll likely not spend as much time as you should on reviewing.

I'm doing 2 months of content review, 3 months of FL's
 
2 months of pure content review sounds like a lot. How many hours per day? Some of that time would be better served doing questions and passages.

I'm literally doing McatJellys schedule I'm extending it tho because I'm taking classes. I also added more FL's...the content review includes doing practice passages