Best GRE Prep Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pawsible_vet2022

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What GRE prep classes has everyone had success with? I was leaning towards Kaplan, but I'm very hesitant to spend $1200 on a prep class. I heard Magoosh and Princeton Review also have good programs. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I only used Magoosh and did well. I thought the online lesson modules were amazing. Plus the vocabulary apps were helpful during my commute to work.

While I personally didn't need to take the GRE, friends of mine who did recommended Magoosh when I was asking around. A friend who did use Kaplan said it wasn't worth it for her but I think a lot of it depends on individual study style.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for one more plug - I used Princeton Review and was also happy with my scores!

I only used Magoosh and did well. I thought the online lesson modules were amazing. Plus the vocabulary apps were helpful during my commute to work.

I am using the one week free trial now, and I love the lesson modules!

I went to one in-person at a local testing center called Sandweiss. I scored 162/160/4 q/v/w and had 160/160/4 as my goal so they helped me achieve it. I prefer in-person to online if you have that option. It was $600 or $800 I don't remember

Another plug for Magoosh!

Magoosh all the way!!! I don't remember the specifics but it drastically improved from my prior attempt a couple years prior.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who have used Magoosh, how did your practice scores compare to your actual? I have taken a couple Magoosh practice exams and 2 PowerPrep tests by ETS and I have scored 10 points higher verbal on each of the PowerPrep exams. Magoosh had me at 48th percentile for verbal and the PowerPrep had me at 86th. Which do you think is more accurate?
I’d say proooobably the Ets tests specifically because they’re the makers of the exam so I’d think theirs would reflect the real exam more than a third party company, but obviously this is just me guessing.

Magoosh. Also check out your local small town libraries for the Princeton and Kaplan prep books. You can do their practice tests and enter the book code online to practice them there too!

I’d say proooobably the Ets tests specifically because they’re the makers of the exam so I’d think theirs would reflect the real exam more than a third party company, but obviously this is just me guessing.
I didn't take any magoosh tests but I had an ETS CD with practice tests and my real scores were higher than the practice scores.

I didn't take any magoosh tests but I had an ETS CD with practice tests and my real scores were higher than the practice scores.
Yeah I was saying the Ets provided tests probably are a better indication of scores vs a third party especially since there was such a big difference between their scores from the two. Obviously will differ some on test day but the Ets tests are probably a bit more accurate than the magoosh ones

Yeah I was saying the Ets provided tests probably are a better indication of scores vs a third party especially since there was such a big difference between their scores from the two. Obviously will differ some on test day but the Ets tests are probably a bit more accurate than the magoosh ones
Yeah I was just adding in my experience the practice tests are harder than the real thing :p

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have used Magoosh, how did your practice scores compare to your actual? I have taken a couple Magoosh practice exams and 2 PowerPrep tests by ETS and I have scored 10 points higher verbal on each of the PowerPrep exams. Magoosh had me at 48th percentile for verbal and the PowerPrep had me at 86th. Which do you think is more accurate?

I'm sure people may have varied experience, but I was consistently scoring a balanced 318-320 on Magoosh practice tests and then scored a somewhat balanced 330 (163 Q, 167 V) on the actual. I never scored higher than a 320 on the Magoosh practice. Without having any ETS experience, I'd say the PowerPrep is probably more accurate just from personal experience with Magoosh.

I don't remember exactly what I was scoring on the practice (I shared my account after I took it.) I think I was getting around the high 150's low 160's in practice. I ended up getting Verbal 164 and Quant 170. I think people usually get better GRE scores than Magoosh projected scores. It's honestly about pattern recognition so those modules really get you to analyze what concept they're trying to test you on.

From a value standpoint, Magoosh is my favorite. You can't beat their price and they do offer some cool resources including free study plans and a phone app. If you're interested in knowing more, check out the special pre-vet resources we created for anyone interested in vet school. FYI, they are currently offering a 20% discount (ends today though).

I literally went to a secondhand bookstore, bought a practice review book (it still included online resources/practice tests) and did fine. Granted I have a history of doing well on standardized tests, so YMMV.

I bought the ETS books and the Magoosh online software. Magoosh was a life saver, especially for the quantitative section. I took the ETS practice tests and they were spot on with my actual score.

I know this isn't quite answering the question at hand, but I didn't take any practice for the GRE and scored Q160/V163/W4.5 my first time through. If you've been historically a good standardized test taker and feel comfortable just reviewing your math concepts, I personally wouldn't be one to suggest spending a ton of money on practice for the test.

Hey, so might be the wrong forum for this, but has anyone compared the Magoosh GMAT prep to the GRE? Switching now to the GRE after burning out on the GMAT. I spent about 2.5 months (200 hours) of study using Magoosh (ManhattanPrep before that) with only a 40 point bump of my GMAT score (560 to 600). Found that the Magoosh practice questions, while more quantitatively challenging, were much more straightforward than real examples, which contributed to my downfall. Videos were great brush-ups on concepts, but the practice questions were not very nuanced.

Is the GRE practice in Magoosh more in-line with practice examples from the exam?

I used Magoosh over a 2 month period, but I don't think it was worth the money. I do think the Magoosh vocab flash card app was helpful for me to learn those ridiculous words they expect you to know.

I did both magoosh and Princeton and i definitely did more with magoosh than i did Princeton. I think they were both good but magoosh was my own speeds and what i needed the most so i like it more

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey, so might be the wrong forum for this, but has anyone compared the Magoosh GMAT prep to the GRE? Switching now to the GRE after burning out on the GMAT. I spent about 2.5 months (200 hours) of study using Magoosh (ManhattanPrep before that) with only a 40 point bump of my GMAT score (560 to 600). Found that the Magoosh practice questions, while more quantitatively challenging, were much more straightforward than real examples, which contributed to my downfall. Videos were great brush-ups on concepts, but the practice questions were not very nuanced.

Is the GRE practice in Magoosh more in-line with practice examples from the exam?

I haven't taken the GMAT, but I felt like the Magoosh GRE practice questions were pretty well in line with what the actual exam questions were. I don't know much (read: anything) about GMAT, but a quick google seemed to indicate their may be more variation/interpretation of the questions than GRE. I feel like the GRE questions for quant/verbal are pretty straight forward overall so it wouldn't be that surprising to me to know that they are easier for a test prep service to predict or be in line with.

Have a very Merry Necrobump

Reactions: 1 users