Technology Best Handheld for the wards

Started by laurachon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

laurachon

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. Can anyone recommend a good handheld for doing clinical rotations? I am mainly concerned about battery life, and something that's super easy to use and will hold all of the information and programs that med students on rotations need.
Thanks!!!
 
My opinion is based on nothing more than personal experience, but I would go for the T3 by palm. It is small, very efficient on batteries, lots of MBs and I prefer Palm OS, it seems more ubiquitous. If you don't want to drop like 350$ then go for the Tungsten E also by Palm. Decent amount of MBs with an expansion slot and good battery life. Also very light and thin. I have a Tung. E and the only PDA I have found that I like better than mine is my buddy's T3.
 
I have a Palm Zire 81 that I love. It has a built in digital camera. It is about 2 years old, and I think the new model is an 82 which can be equipped with a video card. It is very easy to use, excellent memory capacity, compatible with the major medical software packages, and has run without problems so far (fingers crossed). Pocket PC just does not match up in my book especially with respect to ease of use and compatibility issues.