Best HBCU Physical Therapy Schools

Started by member907
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

member907

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As I am conducting my research to apply for PT schools next cycle, I wanted to hear opinions and feedback from individuals who have already applied to some historically black colleges and universities that offer physical therapy programs or maybe be enrolled and going through a program now. Which HBCU has the best physical therapy program when weighing in cost of attendance and ultimate pass rates as well as knowledgable staff? If you are enrolled in a program, are you proud to say you are enrolled in that program? And if so, list some strengths and weaknesses about the school. I am interested in possibly attending an HBCU for PT school but want to get more details but there are not a lot of threads about them.
 
The only two HBCUs that I know of are Hampton University and Howard University. I heard from a student who was applying to Hampton a couple years ago that Hampton sometimes had difficulty keeping their accreditation, however I'm not sure how true that is. I saw on the APTA site that Hampton recently took a few years off and 2012 was their first class graduating since 2008. So they may have taken that time off to improve their program. I spoke to a faculty member at ODU who did not speak highly of Hampton's program. I also saw a post recently on this board that Howard was also having a difficult time keeping their accreditation. The APTA site also states that Howard was on probation a few years ago. After looking at Howard's site their graduation and licensure rates aren't that good. Those are just my thoughts on those two programs, however someone who actually attends those programs may have some better insight.
 
Alabama State University and Winston-Salem State University have PT programs. I applied to WSSU. They do a lot of research with Wake Forest University.
 
Last edited: