Best HBCU Physical Therapy Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member907

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am conducting my research to apply for PT schools next cycle, I wanted to hear opinions and feedback from individuals who have already applied to some historically black colleges and universities that offer physical therapy programs or maybe be enrolled and going through a program now. Which HBCU has the best physical therapy program when weighing in cost of attendance and ultimate pass rates as well as knowledgable faculty? If you are enrolled in a program, are you proud to say you are enrolled in that program? And if so, list some strengths and weaknesses about the school. I am interested in possibly attending an HBCU for PT school but want to get more details but there are not a lot of threads about them.

Members don't see this ad.

I only know of Howard and Emory. I didn't apply or attend but I would assume that like all programs, the preference of best fit, etc. is based on the student as much as the program. Have you contacted any programs to speak to current students? That would probably give you a better picture.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only ones I know of are Hampton University, Tennessee State, Alabama State, Howard University, FAMU, and Winston-Salem. I would say Winston-Salem is the best one. They do research with Wake Forest, and their program has good academic standing. I have never heard of them being in danger of loosing accreditation. I applied to WSSU and Hampton. I am waiting to hear from both schools.

Thanks a lot for all the input. I will be applying for the 2014 cycle and I wanted to narrow down my list of HBCU schools to apply to. I also found that Univ of MD-Eastern Shore is a HBCU with a good program and good pass rates. Please let me know if you get in to Hampton or WSSU. I wish you the best of luck? Do you know if WSSU conducts interviews for their program? Do you know of any one in a HBCU PT program and if so, what have they said about the program?

Hey! I actually only applied to one PT school for the class of 2016! I actually was accepted into the DPT program at University of Maryland-eastern Shore..right now im not sold on the school but it seems to be a pretty good program and the school is SUPER CHEAP! But its in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do..=/