Best histology resource?

Started by Slowpoke
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Slowpoke

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the individuals who have already taken histology at their schools, were there any resources that you used online that was/were irreplaceable?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Shotgun Histology on YouTube

But to actually prepare for histology labs and tests I'm using Meyer's Histology (histology-online.com) just because I really needed the slides organized by type of tissue on the sidebar, with clear explanations of what I'm looking at (to the point, please) and labeled with arrows when I mouse over, then the arrows and label disappear and I have a clear view of the slide.

I'm not at the "quiz me" stage quite just yet...
 
Shotgun Histology on YouTube

But to actually prepare for histology labs and tests I'm using Meyer's Histology (histology-online.com) just because I really needed the slides organized by type of tissue on the sidebar, with clear explanations of what I'm looking at (to the point, please) and labeled with arrows when I mouse over, then the arrows and label disappear and I have a clear view of the slide.

I'm not at the "quiz me" stage quite just yet...

I checked out Meyer's Histology. I may sign up to try it out for 3 days, but I find it hard to justify paying for things online as there are so many open-access resources available with enough snooping. How did you find out about meyer's?
 
I checked out Meyer's Histology. I may sign up to try it out for 3 days, but I find it hard to justify paying for things online as there are so many open-access resources available with enough snooping. How did you find out about meyer's?

Yea, that's what I did at first.

I went through the list of histology sites. I think it was here, the "good websites for medical students" and after a lot of clicking I eventually tried a bunch of sites and ended up there.

My problem was that I was looking for a source that listed all the tissues we were reviewing, but were clearly labeled. Personally, I need more than a description at the bottom of a slide and I wanted those arrows pointing what is where, like Shotgun Histology on YouTube, but more slides, and written down to move through more slides, faster.
 
Did you try BU's histo website? It's pretty decent. It has the label/unlabel feature.

The thing that I don't like though is that you can't directly zoom in and out - like the 100x isn't linked to the 10x of the same slide picture. You can look at the 100x by finding the feature (like endothelial cell for example) in the index and clicking on that, and it will take you to the 100x view.
 
Did you try BU's histo website? It's pretty decent. It has the label/unlabel feature.

The thing that I don't like though is that you can't directly zoom in and out - like the 100x isn't linked to the 10x of the same slide picture. You can look at the 100x by finding the feature (like endothelial cell for example) in the index and clicking on that, and it will take you to the 100x view.

Could you link to their website? I'd love to check it out.
 
Yea, that's what I did at first.

I went through the list of histology sites. I think it was here, the "good websites for medical students" and after a lot of clicking I eventually tried a bunch of sites and ended up there.

My problem was that I was looking for a source that listed all the tissues we were reviewing, but were clearly labeled. Personally, I need more than a description at the bottom of a slide and I wanted those arrows pointing what is where, like Shotgun Histology on YouTube, but more slides, and written down to move through more slides, faster.

I have been using the free trial of histology online. I do like easy-read and clear/concise pictures. Great find. I may end up forking over the $10 AUS if I can't find a better free resource.
 
For the individuals who have already taken histology at their schools, were there any resources that you used online that was/were irreplaceable?

I used this in my histology course in my SMP. It walks you through all the objectives that you need to know and how to distinguish from them. It improved my lab grades significantly. And I also used Blue Histology for quizzing myself. It has a short answer section that helped me to not be dependent on multiple choice. The only downside is that it is from Australia; hence, British English (neurone not neuron, etc).

Histology Lab Videos
http://media.lib.uthsc.edu/movies/courses/histo/

Blue Histology
http://www.lab.anhb.uwa.edu.au/mb140/
 
I used this in my histology course in my SMP. It walks you through all the objectives that you need to know and how to distinguish from them. It improved my lab grades significantly. And I also used Blue Histology for quizzing myself. It has a short answer section that helped me to not be dependent on multiple choice. The only downside is that it is from Australia; hence, British English (neurone not neuron, etc).

Histology Lab Videos
http://media.lib.uthsc.edu/movies/courses/histo/

Blue Histology
http://www.lab.anhb.uwa.edu.au/mb140/

Woah! Those histology videos are great, the quality is much better than shotgun histology.