Best IM program for cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnetrocks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any IM programs that are particularly well-liked by cards programs? Obviously any of the top 10 IM programs are probably good, but are there some whose graduates are particularly sought out by cards programs?

The other question I have is, given how competitive cards is, is it foolish to assume that coming from a top 10 IM program with some modest cards research experience is enough to guarantee a cards spot *somewhere*, and likely in a top 10 place?

(Kinda like being from a top 10 med school pretty much assures me that I can place into top 10 IM)

Members don't see this ad.

this is a tough question to asnwer...mostly speaking, the top 10 medicine programs are all good at sending people into cards...obviously the hopkins/mgh/ucsf/brigham/penn/duke/columbia/uwash...the list goes on, send many many people into cardiology, and none of those places would be a "deficiency" in your application...but then again, any good university program will help you land a spot...now even if you are from one of these top programs, you will still need to compete, and thus research and LORs will count for a lot...generally speaking those opportunities are better available at places with a lot of name...I must say though, that when you go around to interviews, places seem a lot more similar after reviewing their fellowship match list...I suggest if you are really interested in cards, that you spend sufficient time reviewing the medicine program's brochure to see their match list, and see if the geographic region you are interested in for cards is well represented...usually, cards programs in certain places are in the habit of taking candidates from similar schools (i.e. many NY schools interbreed, as do many boston programs, etc etc). hope that helps...