Best Immunology Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all, I was wondering if you guys can help me find a good immunology book for class as well as the boards. I bought the Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously simple because I was told it was really good for micro...so now I gotta find a something for immuno. I heard the BRS Micro and Immuno sucks. I'm looking for either a textbook and/or a review book (ie HY). Thanks

Dr. DOn

Members don't see this ad.

Kuby is great for more basic Immuno.

Kuby is solid, used it in undergrad. Janeway is what my school uses, too big for my limited immuno interest. I would very very highly recommend Lange's Micro + Immuno review book, there's about 90 pgs for immuno that are dead on. Easy to read, clear, concise, and has just about all you'll need. Definetly warrants a quick flip through in your book search.

Members don't see this ad :)
the_equalizer said:
Kuby is solid, used it in undergrad. Janeway is what my school uses, too big for my limited immuno interest. I would very very highly recommend Lange's Micro + Immuno review book, there's about 90 pgs for immuno that are dead on. Easy to read, clear, concise, and has just about all you'll need. Definetly warrants a quick flip through in your book search.

hey equalizer, I saw that book Lange Mico and Immuno Review book in the bookstore, so I'll probably get that. I also saw Lange Immuno Review, which is thick, so I don't know if it's really worth it for class. I saw Kuby on amazon selling for $75, is it worth the money? Any other books you guys recommend? Thanks

Dr. DOn

There isn't really a consensus about what's good for immuno, mainly because there isn't really one book that stands out as being great. They're all mediocre in one way or another.

BRS Micro & Immuno was sufficient for Step 1 (I used it because I hated Ridiculously Simple and I did really well in Infectious Diseases Pathophysiology by using just BRS) but certainly not for your first run through immunology. Some people like How the Immune System Works by Lauren Sompayrac -- that does have pretty clear language but has poor diagrams, and diagrams are a good way to learn immuno.

reading Janeway is like reading a dicitionary.

I think Parham is a really good text, but as mentioned before, there seems to be more disagreement on immuno texts than any other subject.

Any opinions on this book?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-4357407-9754238?v=glance&s=books

It is the required text for the immunology portion of our microbiology class. We cover immunology in 3 weeks so I'm not even sure about buying a textbook. I have a copy of Janeway that an upperclassman gave me (it was the required text last year) and I'm thinking it will probably suffice unless the one above is a whole lot better.

I think that is what is required for us here. I never bought because Just didn't have the time to read it in 3-4 weeks.

I ended up getting the Lange book. Its pretty good.

But from the pages I did read out of that book you pointed to at on amazon, its a pretty good read. Better than Janeway.

I think you'll be fine with lecture notes and Lange.

Read this article....good overview of immunology and you can get it for free from the library!

Jacqueline Parkin and Bryony Cohen: "An overview of the immune system." The Lancet. Vol 357. June 2, 2001. pg 1777-1789

:thumbup: :thumbup:

BTW, this article is an overview. It was good for me because I had never had immunology before. I read it the night before the exam to make sure I know all the major concepts.

I used "the Immune System" by peter parham...I thought it was great. I used Janeway too, but rarely - Parham was definitely better.

Parham was a great book. Probably too much for the boards, but it was really great for my class. Micro Made Ridiculously Simple is also a great review book- also more than sufficient for the class

I wasn't that impressed with kuby but it might have been the jackass immuno teacher I had in undergrad. But it will be one of the few books that I will bring to med school.

I found Molecular Biology of THE CELL by Bruce Alberts to have a fantastic chapter on immunology...details if you want them and a good overall picture with great daigrams and photos if you don't. Ciao

srmonkey said:
Kuby is great for more basic Immuno.

I agree that Kuby is great for those that want a more in depth text :)

We used "Immunology for Medical Students" by Narin partially because the author is from Creighton, but also 'cuz it is a very easy read and really clincal based. I would check it out if I were you, one of the better books I've come across in my career.

azzarah said:
Read this article....good overview of immunology and you can get it for free from the library!

Jacqueline Parkin and Bryony Cohen: "An overview of the immune system." The Lancet. Vol 357. June 2, 2001. pg 1777-1789

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for the tip, I just printed out the article, and it looks pretty readable.

Doing research in an immunology lab for 2 years, the accepted best it seemed to me was "Fundalmentals of Immunology" by a fella with the last name Paul. I found the Intro Janeway to be quite a pleasant read compared to the Paul, for whatever that's worth.