Best in Manual Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freddydpt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which programs have superior teaching in manual medicine skills? If you have personal experience please speak up!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If by manual medicine you mean manipulation, the PM&R program at Nassau on Long Island, NY has a D.O. that comes in every week and teaches osteopathic manipulation to those who want to learn. That's the only program that I've heard of that allows you to practice manipulation in the clinics.

At UM we have an MD who has extensive training in manual medicine. The residents have a weekend training course each spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
Itll be any place im at by the time im through with it. :p
napoleonic complex aside, as far as I know, the places that can teach you manual medicine are 1. MSU (essentially a DO only place) 2. U of M 3. Nassau 4. Long Beach (DO only) and 5. Rumors of CRW opening up an OMM clinic along with a DO FP progam (dont know about actual teaching though)
and from what I gathered, Temple isnt opposed to the idea....

thats all i know
the only structured programs I know for sure about are MSU, Long Beach and U of M

At RIC we have several faculty that utilize manual medicine, we also have 3 practicing acupuncturists. I have been able to do all manual medicine modalities on the inpatient floors, and now in my outpatient continuity clinic I do muscle energy, counterstrain, and acupuncture every week. RIC has 3 inpatient DO physicians and 1 MD manual medicine physician and 3 MD acupuncturists. So, there is ample opportunity over the course of your 3 years to advance your OMM under supervision. Also, we have manual medicine course as part of our didactics. Additionally, if you have interest in OMM, I would recommend an AOA approved internship with active OMM practitioners. :thumbup:

NF

Additionally, if you have interest in OMM, I would recommend an AOA approved internship with active OMM practitioners. :thumbup:

NF

I'm an allopathic student so I don't think AOA programs will take me. Nassau sounds perfect though since its dually accredited (and I'm originally from E. Meadow).

Thanks for the replies!

If your residency is in the same city as a DO school, another option is just to call them up for a rotation.

Most of them have manual medicine specialty clinics that could probably accomodate you.

At Mayo we have a DO and also a MD, DC on staff who use manual techniques in their practice. There is a manual med course offered monthly for several months taught by those same faculty; some PTs take this course as well. Primarily MD PM&R residents attend. A few of us DO residents do guest lectures at this course. Most DO residents I know use it in clinic. I use it whenever applicable inpt/outpt.

I think the best way to develop those skills is to do a one year fellowship while in DO school. IMO-There is a clear difference in manual skills for those that have done this. Alternatively, there are CME courses through the AAO open to MDs as well. Of course, outside of the PM&R track would be OMM/OMT residencies. To the OP: I would call some of these 'proficient MDs' and find out how they got that way. Then please PM me :), I'm curious!

This is all VERY interesting to me. I am not doing the internship and am worried about my skills deteriorating during residency. I have a solid OMM rotation set up during third year and am planning on doing another one sometime after the match 4th year. That being said...I have a couple of Q's: (keep in mind that I'm an M2 so these q's may be relatively naive/dumb...)

1. Is it possible to take short outside courses in this during residency (ie like a resident getting time off to go to a conference?)

2. Would a PM&R residency allow you to use one of your elective months on OMM at an outside institution? (Being that it doesn't necessarily fall under a PM&R sub-discipline)

3. Does anyone have any input about the Philly and Jersey programs willingness and comfort level w/ Residents using OMM during clinic?

Thanks a lot for any input.

-Dave

macman, what's the name of the chiropractor (DC) who's staffed at the Mayo program?

Most PM&R programs are very open to manual medicine, but sometimes supervision can be an issue. Some attendings may be very uncomfortable with the idea of manual medicine.

Usually by the time you're in your 3rd or 4th year the supervision gets pretty loose, but you can expect to be scrutinized early on in your training.

This is all VERY interesting to me. I am not doing the internship and am worried about my skills deteriorating during residency. I have a solid OMM rotation set up during third year and am planning on doing another one sometime after the match 4th year. That being said...I have a couple of Q's: (keep in mind that I'm an M2 so these q's may be relatively naive/dumb...)

1. Is it possible to take short outside courses in this during residency (ie like a resident getting time off to go to a conference?)

2. Would a PM&R residency allow you to use one of your elective months on OMM at an outside institution? (Being that it doesn't necessarily fall under a PM&R sub-discipline)

3. Does anyone have any input about the Philly and Jersey programs willingness and comfort level w/ Residents using OMM during clinic?

Thanks a lot for any input.

-Dave
Taus-
Honestly, since you are a DO your training is ample, you can always fine tune those skill on techniques you may may not ulitized that much at convocation or national meetings or even refresher courses MD's take to learn manipulation. But you have have already been using omm for 2 years and refresher course are weeks at the most. The best thing you can do is use it when ever you can. I have been able to use it without any resistance.
During residency you can use either vacation or educational leave for any of these sort of things. As far as electives that varies on the program weather they'll pay for your malpractice to go outside the state, some will, some won't... and also elective vary too. Some programs don't really have much leeway for elective time.