Best IR books for medical students/residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7summits

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m interested to hear what resources medical students are using for their IR rotations. Any suggestions? I had difficulty finding information about this topic when I was preparing for my rotation. These are the two books that I used, and found most helpful:

Kandarpa’s Handbook of Interventional Radiology Procedures
Interventional Radiology (RadsCases) by Hector Ferral and Jonathan Lorenz

While I mostly used Kandarpa’s book as a reference (used the library’s copy), I read Ferral and Lorenz’s book cover to cover and thought it was great. It covered nearly all of the cases I was exposed to on my rotation, and mostly seemed geared to a medical student/resident level. Plus, it was just published earlier this year and thus it was up to date. I held off on buying Kandarpa’s book because I had heard that the new edition was coming out. I’ll definitely buy that when I’m a resident.

Also, I’d be interested to hear what the residents out there are using for resources. Although I’m a little ways away from buying books for residency, it’s never too early to get ideas.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I have used the Kandarpa book and it is a solid book that you can have in your labcoat pocket and read before the cases. It is important to have some basic understanding of the indications and contraindications of the different IR cases.

I know a couple of IR who are working on writing a textbook for medical students so if you have any suggestions I would love to hear it and I will relay it to them.

As far as books for residency, there are many. But the key ones residents use and I recommend are IR Requisites by Dr. Kaufman and IR case review series for starters.

Hope that helps.

Hi there, as Geogy mentioned, we're currently working on a book for medical students. The bulk of the text will be in the form of brief 'cases', with key teaching points. We will also have sections on the background of the field of IR, devices, techniques, training pathways, and 'hot issues' today in IR.

If you have any suggestions of what you would like to see in it, please let us know (you can email me at [email protected]).

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a book out there that addresses the management of clinical issues that interventional radiologists are faced with? A handbook similar to Kandarpas but that covered the management of the clinical problems would be an excellent resource for those of us that are just starting out.

Patient Care in Vascular and Interventional Radiology (Second Edition) - Waybill & Brown

this is a book I saw at SIR last year. Haven't read it yet. But, perhaps a book to at least check out?

I had heard of a book like that, but didn't know the title. Thanks.

I’m interested to hear what resources medical students are using for their IR rotations. Any suggestions? I had difficulty finding information about this topic when I was preparing for my rotation. These are the two books that I used, and found most helpful:

Kandarpa’s Handbook of Interventional Radiology Procedures
Interventional Radiology (RadsCases) by Hector Ferral and Jonathan Lorenz

While I mostly used Kandarpa’s book as a reference (used the library’s copy), I read Ferral and Lorenz’s book cover to cover and thought it was great. It covered nearly all of the cases I was exposed to on my rotation, and mostly seemed geared to a medical student/resident level. Plus, it was just published earlier this year and thus it was up to date. I held off on buying Kandarpa’s book because I had heard that the new edition was coming out. I’ll definitely buy that when I’m a resident.

Also, I’d be interested to hear what the residents out there are using for resources. Although I’m a little ways away from buying books for residency, it’s never too early to get ideas.

Thanks!

Any new thoughts on these two books? Any other books a soon to be M4 should look into for an IR rotation?

In my opinion , I think that the Handbook of interventional radiology is a pretty solid book. I carried the older version with me as a resident and would flip through it during the workday. You can get the gist of a case before going into it. It is a little bulky but can fit into your labcoat pocket. It gives some practical technical tips etc. It is something you can also read between cases or prior to seeing a consult or clinic patient. Hope that helps.

G.Vatakencherry MD

In my opinion , I think that the Handbook of interventional radiology is a pretty solid book. I carried the older version with me as a resident and would flip through it during the workday. You can get the gist of a case before going into it. It is a little bulky but can fit into your labcoat pocket. It gives some practical technical tips etc. It is something you can also read between cases or prior to seeing a consult or clinic patient. Hope that helps.

G.Vatakencherry MD

Looks like a great book. Thanks

The best book out there for residency in my opinion is the Valji text. Real easy to read and high yield for what you really need to know. I also thought Requisites was ok.

I agree that Valji and the requisites are pretty solid texts for residents and are fairly comprehensive.

For IR fellows the Mauro 2 volume textbook is quite good and Abrams is a good reference.

I disgree that Kandarpa's "Hand book of interventional procedures" is a good book for med students. I have very little background in IR and reading this book's first chapter helped very little. It does a very poor job in describing the basics of how guide wire, catheter and neeedle work etc..... It reads like you should already have a background in basic IR before reading this book and that you need a refresher on various procedures before starting a case. This book requires prior knowledge in IR. So, if you already have basic knowledge in IR, it may be helpful. But, if you don't you'll find yourself reading a paragraph 2-3 times and still not understand what is going on.

On the one hand, I see your point about needing some background in IR when reading something in Kandarpa but it is an excellent book for a brief review of the background, indications, contraindication, and steps of IR procedures which is more likely what you'd be expected to know on an IR rotation. That being said, there is no "ideal" medical student-level IR book and I look forward to seeing what Mark and his colleagues come up with.

In regards to your more practical "how to" of IR, there are other more advanced (and expensive) books such as "Endovascular Skills" by Schneider and "Practical Neuroangiography" by Morris which do describe the in's and out's of wires, manipulation, catheters, etc. But these are probably advanced for a medical student rotating through IR. When it comes to these things, see if there is a senior resident or IR fellow with a good "teaching box" who can go through the materials and some of the tips and tricks we use that are not necessarily described in Kandarpa or the other standard VIR textbooks.