Best Journal to Learn for clinical psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulscribe2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

Just wanted to ask what journal for clinical psychiatry would be most helpful to stay up to date! I am a resident but is always wanting to learn more!

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps FOCUS? JAMA Psych and Am J Psych are all good too.

Reactions: 1 user
I hate saying it and I don't know if it's still even being published but the Carlat Report IMHO is very clinically relevant. Reason why is I've seen Carlat state some things that I found utter nonsense, such as wanting psychologists to prescribe psychotropic meds, not a limited set, but all of them without physician supervision. This happened over 10 years ago and he responded on the forum. Now he didn't exactly say what I wrote, but he strongly endorsed the Oregon law where exactly what I wrote was pushed, despite admitting to not having reviewed the law himself.

Then when confronted about it he admitted he didn't review the law, but then connected A to B to G without plotting C, D, E, or F citing that if psychologists could prescribe, even under questionable circumstances, it would force psychiatrists to provide better psychotherapy, without having any data to back it up, and that this hasn't been demonstrated in any of the states where psychologist prescribing was allowed. As written in an interview with Psychology Today.

He also cited a military study to back his argument despite that this same article had physician supervision of psychologists and even stated it was not enough data to safely say psychologists could prescribe in the community.

While one could argue that Psychology Today may have taken him out-of-context, he is an editor in that same publication.

I usually actually agree with Carlat, but the above was such a glaring problem IMHO. He goes on various news outlets pushing his opinion and admitted he didn't even review the law himself.

Getting back to the journal, it has good clinically-heavy relevant articles, and despite my complaints every single issue I've read was well written. Also I very much like journals that offer opinions, even differing ones (reason why I was upset with Carlat wasn't that we disagreed but that he endorsed a law without reviewing the law itself).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hate saying it and I don't know if it's still even being published but the Carlat Report IMHO is very clinically relevant. Reason why is I've seen Carlat state some things that I found utter nonsense, such as wanting psychologists to prescribe psychotropic meds, not a limited set, but all of them without physician supervision. This happened over 10 years ago and he responded on the forum. Now he didn't exactly say what I wrote, but he strongly endorsed the Oregon law where exactly what I wrote was pushed, despite admitting to not having reviewed the law himself.

Then when confronted about it he admitted he didn't review the law, but then connected A to B to G without plotting C, D, E, or F citing that if psychologists could prescribe, even under questionable circumstances, it would force psychiatrists to provide better psychotherapy, without having any data to back it up, and that this hasn't been demonstrated in any of the states where psychologist prescribing was allowed. As written in an interview with Psychology Today.

He also cited a military study to back his argument despite that this same article had physician supervision of psychologists and even stated it was not enough data to safely say psychologists could prescribe in the community.

While one could argue that Psychology Today may have taken him out-of-context, he is an editor in that same publication.

I usually actually agree with Carlat, but the above was such a glaring problem IMHO. He goes on various news outlets pushing his opinion and admitted he didn't even review the law himself.

Getting back to the journal, it has good clinically-heavy relevant articles, and despite my complaints every single issue I've read was well written. Also I very much like journals that offer opinions, even differing ones (reason why I was upset with Carlat wasn't that we disagreed but that he endorsed a law without reviewing the law itself).
Reading that psychology today article made me throw up in my mouth a little. Despite that I can live with vehemently disagreeing with him on some topics (like scope of practice) and absolutely loving the podcast and work they do. Definitely a good clinical recommendation.

I actually just recommend the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. it is specifically focused on clinically-relevant topics, is a good read even at a resident level.

When I read that article I was thinking WTF myself. I'm going to say something, but it's based on evidence, and it's speculation. I suspect Carlat is frustrated that psychiatry have been relegated to often-times med only situations, and saw this as a way to possibly maneuver the field back into more psychotherapy. Now how the eff he did that (like I said A to B to G) without any studies showing this happened in states where psychology-prescribing was legalized I don't know, and hence the WTF.

Add to the problem, the way the law was written in Oregon, which actually did pass (edit-got enough votes, that's different from passing) but the governor vetoed it, it gave psychologists pretty much the power to do everything an MD could do, no physician-supervision, such as consult in hospitals, prescribe Clozapine, Lithium, MAO-Is, (yes I actually did read the law myself which is another reason why I was significantly put-off when he admitted he didn't review the law, he's willing to go on cable news, various news outlets, endorse a law and he didn't even read it?), and he uses a study to back his argument that even said the study wasn't not enough to endorse psychologists prescribing, and that study did have physician supervision, that just was making it WTF squared.

In states where psychology prescribing was legalized with physician supervision, this isn't much different than a physician prescribing and a psychologist acting as a consult, so I wasn't against it without seeing and acknowledging it needed further study. Also Illinois passed a law that allows for psychology-prescribing but the meds that could be prescribed are very limited, don't encompass all psychotropic meds, and the psychologist needed added medical training, so that too I wasn't outright against it, but felt it was an experiment worthy of consideration, but have no significant reason to believe it'll somehow bring back psychotherapy into psychiatry.

Last edited:
Just as a caveat, the journal of clinical psychiatry seems to be industry funded so will have more positive results for RCTs.
It's not industry funded (not more than any other journal that has drug ads anyway). They wouldn't be able to offer CMEs if that were the case. And the paper linked to does not support that assertion -it is about author conflicts, not journal conflicts.

Swamp is deep

It's not industry funded (not more than any other journal that has drug ads anyway). They wouldn't be able to offer CMEs if that were the case. And the paper linked to does not support that assertion -it is about author conflicts, not journal conflicts.
Most of the authors have conflicts of interest with industry funding is what I meant.