Best Mac apps for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thing1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got a Mac, and it came with a $100 gift card for Mac apps (it's a laptop not an iPad). Any suggestions for apps that are good for med school (or otherwise)?

Members don't see this ad.

Since you can't seem to use the search button, you should buy emo music with your cash and cry yourself to sleep.

Since you can't seem to use the search button, you should buy emo music with your cash and cry yourself to sleep.

Youre hilarious. Too bad nothing relevant shows up on a search for Mac apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have to excuse the troll above me, he gets cranky when it's past his bedtime.

Anyway, here are a couple useful threads regarding iPhone apps (I'm not sure which Mac product, specifically, you were referring to).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=543261
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=802202

Thanks for being helpful. I don't actually have an iPhone though, its a Mac notebook that I have. I just have $100 to spend at the Mac App store, and I'm not sure how to use it.

Microsoft Office. You'll be reading a lot of powerpoints.

Microsoft Office. You'll be reading a lot of powerpoints.

try to get this free on a license from your school or at a discounted price. I was able to get it for $5 this way.

I'm assuming these are apps at the mac app store. Shop the productivity section and the Spanish apps. Get Keynote if you don't have it -the templates for presentations and brochures are novel to PC users, so it's easy to impress with the standard templates. Anything that will help you organize the hordes of pdfs, powerpoints, and study guides/flashcards you will be using will help. I haven't tried the software that reads to you, but I could see how that would be helpful for some people (listen while you work out, drive etc).

fyi: You don't need Microsoft Office to read ppts or send them. In case you didn't know, if you do a keynote presentation or pages doc, just click "export" in the file menu, and convert the file to a pc friendly format (word/ppt, but I usually convert things I do not want modified to pdf b/c most people don't know how to unlock them).

I've had a mac since I started med school, installed xp for M1 b/c my school has some software which was pc only. Haven't used PC for school since.

Last edited: