Best material for OAT?

foreverhungrytho

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

Im planning on studying for the OAT and taking the exam in the summer. What is the best prep material out there (for both content and practice)? I've heard good things about the coursesaver videos (do you want them for just gen chem/orgo), as well as oat destroyer. For oat destroyer, would you want to get the math and physics ones too? Also, are any of the content books online good, such as kaplan, princeton review? I'm honestly very new to optometry and the oat exam still, but I want to get a good consensus before studying. What is recommended?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend chads physics, chem, and orgo videos. I didn’t watch this orgo videos because I took the class recently so it was fresh in my head, but I have heard good things about his orgo videos. He has bio videos but I don’t think they cover all of the material that is on the OAT. For bio, I think a prep book like Kaplan would be good. The main destroyer book does not have physics so I would recommend the separate physics destroyer. I think the math destroyer is only necessary if you do not have a strong foundation in math. I took the online Kaplan course and although the lectures were a bit too rushed, they still gave me a chance to review material. For me, the best part of the Kaplan course was the practice tests because they forced me to sit down and treat them like the actual OAT.

Videos do help you a lot in understanding the core of different subjects. However, you also need to regularly take classes and revise. Furthermore, do not just rely on the videos entirely. You need to make sure to consult other materials too since the videos do not necessarily cover all the things you need to know about.

No matter what material you choose, it depends on the level of preparation for the test. Therefore, you must take the time to understand OAT and its relationship with DAT. Besides Physics, most of the topics that you need to cover in OAT and DAT are almost similar.