Best materials to prep for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

razblo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just finishing my first semester of O. Chem (second semester in the spring) and plan on taking my DAT in the summer (maybe in June).

I've looked at a couple threads about what books to use for each area or which books are good to use but they were pretty dated (2006ish).

I haven't had a bio class besides anatomy in about 2 years. Although, I will be taking physiology and histology this spring. So, I was wondering what books are the most helpful to learn/re-learn biology again for the DAT? I think biology is my biggest weakness by far because at the time I didn't put the effort into it that I should have and it's been a while.

I just recently purchased the blue Kaplan DAT book (2008-2009 edition) because it sounds like it's a definite must have book to study from but I've read good and bad things about everything else (DAT Destroy, DAT Achiever, etc.). I guess what I'm getting at is whatelse should I be looking at or doing besides the Kaplan book to prepare me for the DAT?

If I didn't make myself clear let me know and I'll try to re-phrase it. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same situation as you razblo. I am finishing my first semester of Orgo and taking the DATs on Jan 12. Now I am taking comparative vertebrate anatomy and it is really helping me review for Bio sect.

I bought the kaplan Blue book and after studying that and my notes from gen bio last year, i got a 17 on my practice test.

I would suggest studying your old notes andblue book and you should be good. Think about it. There is 40 Bio questions and completely random. If you are fimiliar with the material you should be able to make educated guesses on most of the answers.

How are you doing in Orgo? I find that the hardest subject even though i am activily studying it now for class, but i find destroyer extremely helpful in studying for the DAT and for all my lecture exams.

Good luck! histology and physiology are going to be good reviews on alot of overarching key concepts for the bio section.

And i bought achiever and no matter what i do and who i contact it freezes my computer every time. money down the drain

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely use Destroyer. Its awesome for the sciences. It really makes sure you know the material well.

school text book for biol, genchem, ochem. and destroyer to review + practice.

Destroyer!!!!! It's really well presented with its questions!!! Ok not THAT well because it has mistakes here and there.

The Kaplan book is really good for o-chem and gen chem concepts!! Oh and most of the o chem mechanisms!! It missed a couple key ones which you'll def get from the destroyer. I would also recommend TOPSCORE!!!!

As for the biology section....I studied my ass off from Baron's AP bio, Baron's guide to the DAT, Kaplan bluebook, and Machill's AP biology and STILL only got an 18. Kaplan is only good for giving you basic concpest to everything, the AP Biology books is good for filling the missing links that Kaplan "forgot" to mention, and the Destroyer just give you bunch of random facts. Go get Cliff's AP bio, that's one book I did not get and it has nthing but positive reviews on this forum.

Reading Comp, just practice off Kaplan and topscore and you should be good. So is QR and the PAT. Expect the PAT to be tougher on the real thing though.

I'm not having too much trouble with O. Chemistry (I think it's a lot easier than Gen. Chem) and looking back at Gen. Chem I did OK but I could have done better in that if I tried a little harder, or at least had a lighter class schedule, which is why I'm more worried about biology.

Anyways, by the sound of it I should get multiple books for Bio and not rely solely on Kaplan for it. Is there a general consensus as to what books or study aides are needed, or highly recommended, to do well on the DAT or is there a lot of variance from person to person?

for bio, brush up with cliffs ap bio, then clarify anything u dont understand with a text or wiki. destroyer is good for bio after u have reviewed. its more of a test of knowledge, rather than a learning tool for bio.

ochem and gchem - destroyer, cliffs chem, and class notes.

not to mention the forums are great too!

I'm with Gentile....get Cliffs AP Bio to take care of your Bio worries, don't think twice. Get destroyer and crack DAT PAT for the perceptual stuff.

I have the Blue Kaplan book and I've ordered DAT Destroyer and Cliffs AP Bio. I plan on doing some studying, not all of it, during winter break. Are there any suggestions as to what I should work on in that approximately one month that I'll be able to retain, or mostly retain, until the summer?