Best Materials & where to get them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Augustus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the MCATs at some point this summer.

Obviously, I'm looking to get the best study materials available as well as the best practice tests (the ones the most accurately reflect the real test).

Ultimately, I want to know which study materials to buy, and where to buy them. Same for practice tests (I know about the AAMC) what should I buy and where?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm most concerned about the physics portion.

Members don't see this ad.

Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

:thumbup:
Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

Members don't see this ad :)
BR is great for chem, good for bio, and pretty good for certain aspects of physics. I was not impressed with their sections on electrostatics, magnetism, and light, so if you are weak on those, I would get something else.

BR is great for chem, good for bio, and pretty good for certain aspects of physics. I was not impressed with their sections on electrostatics, magnetism, and light, so if you are weak on those, I would get something else.

What's the copyright date in your books? Electro-Mag got an update to address that weakness. Not sure about light, but this is the first time I've seen someone bring it up.

I bought it a month or so ago directly from TBR. My physics books are 2009. Maybe it is just me, but I was pretty disappointed with those sections.

I think the EK 1001 Bio is really good too. Just throwing that out there. The passages look pretty similar to the aamc ones.

I bought it a month or so ago directly from TBR. My physics books are 2009. Maybe it is just me, but I was pretty disappointed with those sections.

Oh huh. Maybe the next version isn't out yet. Either that or they're releasing it for the summer courses.

^
i agree with that. i know a lot of people say it is too easy, but i still learned a lot from it, especially basic stuff, which i didnt know well previously or had completely forgotten. the BR bio passages are an excellent follow-up to it.