Best MD/PhD Programs for Heart Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collinsc

Aspiring Peds CV Surgeon
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm somewhat of a newbie here, but I figured I'd give this a shot.

I know there are a lot of neuro and cancer kids out there going for their MD/PhD but I'm interested in heart research big time. I was wondering if anyone knew of any MD/PhD programs that may be know for their heart research.

I'm just having trouble figuring out which programs to apply to... it seems pretty daunting!

Any help would be wonderful! :D Hopefully I'm not the only MD/PhD wannabe in love with heart research...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My advice is that if you're competitive enough, apply to a range of top to mid-tier programs and figure it out when you get there. Narrow it down as well based on the locations you would like to live in. You can also ask your undergrad mentors, but they're very unreliable when it comes to this stuff. If you go to a strong MSTP you're almost guaranteed to have many options. You could try finding some Cardiology Research rankings, for what they're worth. If you do find some rankings on this, come back and last us know, because many would be interested to see them.

Nobody goes into this process with a great deal of insight. Some of the places that are great for heart research might not have MSTPs or fully-funded MD/PhD programs.

SDNers are mostly pre-meds and others who are tremendously biased towards their home program, but don't know the whole story. i.e. There's not some heart research guru sitting here who's going to tell you where the top programs are. There's just some pre-med or 1st year MSTP who is going to chime in with, let me tell you why my program is great! and you might hear from one or two of these and it's not going to be terribly helpful.

My advice is that if you're competitive enough, apply to a range of top to mid-tier programs and figure it out when you get there. Narrow it down as well based on the locations you would like to live in. You can also ask your undergrad mentors, but they're very unreliable when it comes to this stuff. If you go to a strong MSTP you're almost guaranteed to have many options. You could try finding some Cardiology Research rankings, for what they're worth. If you do find some rankings on this, come back and last us know, because many would be interested to see them.

Nobody goes into this process with a great deal of insight. Some of the places that are great for heart research might not have MSTPs or fully-funded MD/PhD programs.

SDNers are mostly pre-meds and others who are tremendously biased towards their home program, but don't know the whole story. i.e. There's not some heart research guru sitting here who's going to tell you where the top programs are. There's just some pre-med or 1st year MSTP who is going to chime in with, let me tell you why my program is great! and you might hear from one or two of these and it's not going to be terribly helpful.

Sounds like a good idea though I don't know how competitive I really am. Maybe you can help... At the school I'm at now (I'm a 5th year senior), I have a 3.85 with a 3.91 in my Double Major (BA in Biology & Chemistry with emphasis in Biotechnology and Biochemistry) and minor in Communication Studies which i have a 4.0 in... I've done heart research for a total of about 2 years with my research mentor (which we might get a publication out of it hopefully by the summer). I know a lot about the research I'm doing and I pretty much took a project he wanted to do for a while and ran with it this semester on my own. (The mentor also said that he can't wait to do a LOR for me). I also am doing my very own research in communication studies regarding doctor-patient communication which my other research mentor thinks I might get published as well (would probably be first author out of the two authors there will be on it). I also worked as a central service tech that assembled surgical tools, set up supplies, and sent them to the OR for their cases for a year (which I learned a lot from especially since I want to be a pediatric cardiac surgeon/heart researcher) so I've seen how surgeries work from the inside out and the bureaucracy that comes with hospitals (which all of the surg techs and nurses including the head nurse said they would give me strong LORs if need be since I worked my butt off there). Shadowed a few times, got an internship 2 summers ago from Mass General Cardiovascular Research Center which the research mentor their said they would give me a strong LOR as well).

Only downer is that I haven't taken my MCAT yet, I'm taking a year off (to get some more research experience at another lab), and my first year before I transferred to the school I'm at now I didn't do that well (3.3 about and I got an F in one of the labs because I didn't know what they meant about dropping at that time and had no idea I could) so that brings my complete gpa down for AMCAS. Also had a string of Ws where I was going through some rough times with my Mom heading to Iraq for 2 tours and other personal stuff...

I guess it just seems that all my competitors have done missions in Africa or saved half the planet which makes me nervous on if I can even compete with the top/middle tier schools. I've got an interesting story and I think that I could probably rock an interview but its just getting to that point first. I've got the passion and drive for it just need a chance I guess (which I know I'm preaching to the choir).

What do you think?

I've been looking for heart research rankings still but I will definitely post them up if I find them...

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to compute your GPA including the previous bad grades. If it's still above a 3.8 you're in great shape. 3.6 ok shape. With MCAT, shoot for a 36+. You have a good amount of research experience and your continued work will make you more competitive. Combined with the stats I mentioned (3.8/36), you should shoot for top-20 programs. I wouldn't fault you for just applying to the top-20 US News Research Rankings schools, and I think that's about as good a methodology as any if you're competitive enough.

But we can come back to this when your GPA and MCAT are set. I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself for now. If you're going to think of programs, keep this list in mind:

http://www.nigms.nih.gov/Training/InstPredoc/PredocInst-MSTP.htm

The MSTPs are the biggest research institutions and are the best organized programs. The designation MSTP is given because they have competed successfully for a competitive NIH training grant that rates them on their ability to produce MD/PhD students. They are almost always fully-funded positions. It's my opinion that you should shoot for the MSTPs when possible.

As for other things on your application, the Ws shouldn't matter at all, especially since they are in the distant past. Don't worry about the people doing missions in Africa or saving half the planet. A lot of that stuff is exaggerated. It matters less for MD/PhD admissions anyway.

Try to compute your GPA including the previous bad grades. If it's still above a 3.8 you're in great shape. 3.6 ok shape. With MCAT, shoot for a 36+. You have a good amount of research experience and your continued work will make you more competitive. Combined with the stats I mentioned (3.8/36), you should shoot for top-20 programs. I wouldn't fault you for just applying to the top-20 US News Research Rankings schools, and I think that's about as good a methodology as any if you're competitive enough.

But we can come back to this when your GPA and MCAT are set. I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself for now. If you're going to think of programs, keep this list in mind:

http://www.nigms.nih.gov/Training/InstPredoc/PredocInst-MSTP.htm

The MSTPs are the biggest research institutions and are the best organized programs. The designation MSTP is given because they have competed successfully for a competitive NIH training grant that rates them on their ability to produce MD/PhD students. They are almost always fully-funded positions. It's my opinion that you should shoot for the MSTPs when possible.

As for other things on your application, the Ws shouldn't matter at all, especially since they are in the distant past. Don't worry about the people doing missions in Africa or saving half the planet. A lot of that stuff is exaggerated. It matters less for MD/PhD admissions anyway.

Yeah I've only been looking at MSTP programs myself since they are the most organized from what I've seen. What is the best way to compute your GPA based on how AMCAS does it?

I guess it just seems that all my competitors have done missions in Africa or saved half the planet which makes me nervous on if I can even compete with the top/middle tier schools. I've got an interesting story and I think that I could probably rock an interview but its just getting to that point first. I've got the passion and drive for it just need a chance I guess (which I know I'm preaching to the choir).

What do you think?

I have done nothing outside my home institution other than one shadowing experience. All research, etc, everything on my app has been from one place. No missions, no outside research, nothing that stands out, nothing different than any other cookie-cutter premed, and I have done fine this cycle with stats similar to those Neuronix posted.
You will be fine if you can articulate your need for the combined degrees for your future career (and have an otherwise good application, which you do). Research experiences, letters of rec... the basics matter far more than anything else.

Regarding your question, any top 30 program is likely to have a few excellent heart researchers. Likely programs that have very well reputed cardiology fellowships are going to have very strong researchers, although not necessarily.

Do not worry about extracurriculars, especially for MD/PhD. Those things matter more for MD admissions, which in my view is a lot more arbitrary than MD/PhD admissions.

Focus on the research, recommendations, and especially the MCAT. A bad MCAT can knock out the top 20 for you. A great MCAT can get you a top 10.

Try to compute your GPA including the previous bad grades. If it's still above a 3.8 you're in great shape. 3.6 ok shape.

I calculated my AMCAS GPA and pending an A in Biochem I should have a 3.609 with 3.686 BCPM and with a B+ i'd have a 3.594 with 3.660 BCPM.
So i guess this means rock my MCAT?

I have done nothing outside my home institution other than one shadowing experience. All research, etc, everything on my app has been from one place. No missions, no outside research, nothing that stands out, nothing different than any other cookie-cutter premed, and I have done fine this cycle with stats similar to those Neuronix posted.
You will be fine if you can articulate your need for the combined degrees for your future career (and have an otherwise good application, which you do). Research experiences, letters of rec... the basics matter far more than anything else.

Well at least there is some what of a hope for me lol.

Regarding your question, any top 30 program is likely to have a few excellent heart researchers. Likely programs that have very well reputed cardiology fellowships are going to have very strong researchers, although not necessarily.

Do not worry about extracurriculars, especially for MD/PhD. Those things matter more for MD admissions, which in my view is a lot more arbitrary than MD/PhD admissions.

Focus on the research, recommendations, and especially the MCAT. A bad MCAT can knock out the top 20 for you. A great MCAT can get you a top 10.

Thanks for the hope y'all! here's hoping I will burn through my MCAT lol. I'm still on a hunt for heart research rankings if anyone finds some. I'll make sure to post if I find as well.

I calculated my AMCAS GPA and pending an A in Biochem I should have a 3.609 with 3.686 BCPM and with a B+ i'd have a 3.594 with 3.660 BCPM.

Well at least there is some what of a hope for me lol.

Thanks for the hope y'all! here's hoping I will burn through my MCAT lol. I'm still on a hunt for heart research rankings if anyone finds some. I'll make sure to post if I find as well.

OK, I'll post below the US News rankings of best cardiology and cardiovascular surgery. The rankings may surprise you. In brief, the places that I've heard of over and over when it comes to heart disease treatment are Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, Harvard, JHU, and Duke. At this stage I would focus on top 30 MSTPs (as listed by US News Research rankings) which correlates well with residency program director estimation of programs' repute, and then factor in location to make the final decision. Thus, if it comes down to UCSF vs. Mayo and if location is not an issue, absolutely go with UCSF, despite its much lower rank on this cardiology list.

http://www.usnews.com/directories/h.../name+/metro_area+/zip+/distance+/detail+less

Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland , OH
65.0 100.0
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
Rochester , MN
48.0 81.0
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
Baltimore , MD
21.8 52.5
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
Boston , MA
20.8 49.5
Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
Boston , MA
20.3 48.7
New York-Presbyterian Univ. Hosp. of Columbia and Cornell
New York , NY
19.3 47.7
Texas Heart Institute at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston
Houston , TX
18.5 46.2
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
Durham , NC
12.6 39.6
Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis
Saint Louis , MO
6.6 35.5
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
Los Angeles , CA
6.2 34.6
Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, Calif.
Palo Alto , CA
13.9 34.3
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
Philadelphia , PA
7.0 33.9
Emory University Hospital, Atlanta
Atlanta , GA
13.1 33.9
Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Mich.
Royal Oak , MI
5.6 33.5
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
Los Angeles , CA
3.7 31.4
NYU Medical Center, New York
New York , NY
5.0 31.0
Washington Hospital Center, Washington, D.C.
Washington , DC
2.7 30.0
University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor , MI
4.3 29.9
Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
Chicago , IL
3.1 29.1
University of Chicago Medical Center
Chicago , IL
0.3 28.4
Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, Va.
Falls Church , VA
2.4 28.2
St. Francis Hospital, Roslyn, N.Y.
Roslyn , NY
0.0 28.1
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville
Nashville , TN
3.6 27.8
Shands at the University of Florida, Gainesville
Gainesville , FL
2.4 27.5
Lenox Hill Hospital, New York
New York , NY
4.0 27.5
Christ Hospital, Cincinnati
Cincinnati , OH
1.8 27.3
Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Conn.
New Haven , CT
1.5 26.9
Methodist Hospital, Houston
Houston , TX
2.2 26.9
University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview
Minneapolis , MN
0.7 26.8
Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla, Calif.
La Jolla , CA
1.6 26.8
Loyola University Hospital, Maywood, Ill.
Maywood , IL
0.0 26.8
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston
Boston , MA
2.6 26.7
Hackensack University Medical Center, N.J.
Hackensack , NJ
0.7 26.7
Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center, Phoenix
Phoenix , AZ
0.3 26.6
University of Kansas Hospital, Kansas City
Kansas City , KS
0.0 26.6
UPMC-University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Pittsburgh , PA
4.1 26.5
St. Luke's Hospital, Kansas City, Mo.
Kansas City , MO
0.9 26.3
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital-Sentara Heart Hospital, Norfolk, Va.
Norfolk , VA
0.0 26.3
University of California, San Francisco Medical Center
San Francisco , CA
6.7 26.1
Clarian Health, Indianapolis
Indianapolis , IN
0.4 26.0
Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
New York , NY
1.9 26.0
Tampa General Hospital
Tampa , FL
0.8 25.9
University Medical Center, Tucson, Ariz.
Tucson , AZ
0.1 25.7
Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, Pa.
Allentown , PA
0.0 25.6
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
Chicago , IL
0.0 25.5
University of Alabama Hospital at Birmingham
Birmingham , AL
3.1 25.5
Riverside Methodist Hospital-Ohio Health, Columbus
Columbus , OH
0.7 25.5
Jewish Hospital, Louisville, Ky.
Louisville , KY
0.7 25.3
University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore
Baltimore , MD
1.6 25.3
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, N.J.
New Brunswick , NJ
0.0 25.3

Yes, keep working on your GPA. You should try to apply with over a 3.6 cum if possible. The higher the better. It does help that you have an upward trend, but that overall # is most important. Having an above average MCAT (36 for some schools 37 for top schools) will help offset your GPA. Be sure to keep on that research as well!

Yes, keep working on your GPA. You should try to apply with over a 3.6 cum if possible. The higher the better. It does help that you have an upward trend, but that overall # is most important. Having an above average MCAT (36 for some schools 37 for top schools) will help offset your GPA. Be sure to keep on that research as well!

What would be a smart way to increase my GPA? Since I graduate this may if I get all A's which is very possible I will get a cum GPA of 3.60 on the button. Since my first year I've only received a total of 4 B/B+ grades since. I will be taking a year off for sure to do more research but like you said I should try to increase the GPA. What's my best option for my year off?

OK, I'll post below the US News rankings of best cardiology and cardiovascular surgery. The rankings may surprise you. In brief, the places that I've heard of over and over when it comes to heart disease treatment are Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, Harvard, JHU, and Duke. At this stage I would focus on top 30 MSTPs (as listed by US News Research rankings) which correlates well with residency program director estimation of programs' repute, and then factor in location to make the final decision. Thus, if it comes down to UCSF vs. Mayo and if location is not an issue, absolutely go with UCSF, despite its much lower rank on this cardiology list.

http://www.usnews.com/directories/h.../name+/metro_area+/zip+/distance+/detail+less

Yeah I saw this list and was kind of wary. I figured that just because they were the best clinically it may not be the best for research so glad to hear I was thinking the same way. I wish they did the same thing for heart research...

I will be taking a year off for sure to do more research but like you said I should try to increase the GPA. What's my best option for my year off?

More classes is about your only option. If they don't make any sense with your current timeline/major/graduation plans, you'll have to settle with the 3.6. At this point, tacking on a few extra As won't change the GPA that much anyways... A 3.6 isn't going to kill your application, just try to get a high MCAT score and you'll still be in great shape!

Just focus on the MCAT and research now. The only way to boost the GPA would be a special masters program, and I do mean special. These are basically the first one or two years of medical school and you pay a lot for them. They can factor into UG GPA. A typical masters program gives grades that go into graduate GPA, which for you is useless. The programs actually look more at UG GPA than graduate GPA. Do a conventional masters only if you can do the research in no other way. Otherwise, just focus on a good research experience and knock out the MCAT.

I had a slightly sub 3.5 GPA and with a 40 MCAT got interviews from two top 10s and a whole bunch of 10-20 schools.

Just focus on the MCAT and research now. The only way to boost the GPA would be a special masters program, and I do mean special. These are basically the first one or two years of medical school and you pay a lot for them. They can factor into UG GPA. A typical masters program gives grades that go into graduate GPA, which for you is useless. The programs actually look more at UG GPA than graduate GPA. Do a conventional masters only if you can do the research in no other way. Otherwise, just focus on a good research experience and knock out the MCAT.

I had a slightly sub 3.5 GPA and with a 40 MCAT got interviews from two top 10s and a whole bunch of 10-20 schools.

So I talked to one of my science profs and he suggested doing one of the NIH IRTA fellowships and thought I had a really good chance at getting it. Do you think this would boost my chances? or should I look for a lab job at another university? He already said he would talk to his program director and see if he could get me a research job in his cancer lab for the summer as well. I don't know much about the NIH IRTA but it seems like many love it. Does this give a boost for wannabe MD PhD students? I had previously been accepted to NIH's multicultural summer research program but I had already accepted the multicultural summer research program from MGH at the time...

Don't worry about each school's strenth in a particular research field, for your interest may change as you navigate through your first two years of medschool. Most schools with an MSTP program are of reasonable sizes, meaning there's a good chance that they will have someone doing the research you like. For now, just focus on rocking the MCAT.