Best medicine pocket book for poor eyesight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GladifImakeit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers. As usual I am struggling. My eyesight is failing me. I am trying to squint and read the little text in my pocket hospital handbook but it's not easy.

How does the Harvard version compare to Washington? Is there anything with similar content that is easy to read? Thank you so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDNers. As usual I am struggling. My eyesight is failing me. I am trying to squint and read the little text in my pocket hospital handbook but it's not easy.

How does the Harvard version compare to Washington? Is there anything with similar content that is easy to read? Thank you so much for your help.

Not sure it's there's an app for either, but if there's one and u have a smartphone/tablet, you can zoom in...

Just a thought..

Be a big boy and get glasses or contacts. Problem solved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pocket books are for chumps. Just memorize the entire book like I do and ask your eyes "now what eyes? NOW WHAT?"

A) I'm female B) I have astigmatism that glasses can't correct all the way

How many diopters of astigmatism do you have? Is it around axis 180 +/- 15 degrees (165-15)? Is it irregular astigmatism (cannot be corrected by lenses because the meridians are not 90 degrees apart)? The most common way to get rid of that is by wavefront LASIK/LASEK/PRK or orthokeratology.

How many diopters of astigmatism do you have? Is it around axis 180 +/- 15 degrees (165-15)? Is it irregular astigmatism (cannot be corrected by lenses because the meridians are not 90 degrees apart)? The most common way to get rid of that is by wavefront LASIK/LASEK/PRK or orthokeratology.

You sound like someone who might actually know something about my problem. Well I have no idea what it means but here is the stuff written on my eye exam:

SPH -1.5 CYL -3.00 AX 180 BC 8.5

You sound like someone who might actually know something about my problem. Well I have no idea what it means but here is the stuff written on my eye exam:

SPH -1.5 CYL -3.00 AX 180 BC 8.5

Woah, -3.00 is a lot of astigmatism so I see where you are coming from. That looks like a contact lens Rx because of the base curve. Toric (astigmatic correcting) contact lenses usually (not always) suck ass in correcting astigmatism. Maybe your glasses are misaligned? Did you go to a private practice optometrist? They know more about fixing refractive errors. Perhaps they can try a combination toric contact lens and glasses? Or other methods I mentioned earlier.

I know you said glasses don't help but could you try a magnifying glass?

What about a plastic magnifying sheet - you could keep in your book as a bookmark and use that. :idea::confused:

Edit: Shnurek - what is your avatar?

Edit: Shnurek - what is your avatar?

lol everyone thinks its titties but its a cornea stained with fluorescein and illuminated with a cobalt blue filtered light [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLLUMYRRut0[/YOUTUBE]

Not sure the all the details in your case, but my eyesight was going down hard and eventually they couldn't get me to 20/40 with glasses. I switched docs and they caught kerticonus (spelling could be touched) that made me have a weird astigmatism. After the contacts they gave me I can see almost 20/20.

All of these have fairly tiny text. However, there are smartphone versions that have the ability to increase the font size.

The Skyscape app has the MGH Handbook, but there are probably better options by now.

Not sure the all the details in your case, but my eyesight was going down hard and eventually they couldn't get me to 20/40 with glasses. I switched docs and they caught kerticonus (spelling could be touched) that made me have a weird astigmatism. After the contacts they gave me I can see almost 20/20.

o awesome they used the hard lenses, you should look into corneal cross linking to prevent further progression of the keratoconus. Currently, it is approved in every developed nation except for the USA because of the FDA (no surprise) but there are clinical trials happening that are accepting new patients: http://www.nkcf.org/en/treatment-options/corneal-crosslinking/159-us-cxl-sites-2.html

Members don't see this ad :)
o awesome they used the hard lenses, you should look into corneal cross linking to prevent further progression of the keratoconus. Currently, it is approved in every developed nation except for the USA because of the FDA (no surprise) but there are clinical trials happening that are accepting new patients: http://www.nkcf.org/en/treatment-options/corneal-crosslinking/159-us-cxl-sites-2.html

Yea I got the hard contacts. Pretty good but they do get really dry at points and can burn if I don't have enough time without them, but better then not seeing. I was told about that therapy but was someone told to wait till it had been proven.

Yea I got the hard contacts. Pretty good but they do get really dry at points and can burn if I don't have enough time without them, but better then not seeing. I was told about that therapy but was someone told to wait till it had been proven.

Try using (systane) artificial tears or also a piggyback design is good too. (soft contact lens underneath hard contact lens) Best of both worlds. They fit a lot of those in our contact lens clinic.

They make mangifying thingies that attach to the pages of books and stuff, I've seen ol' ladies using them in the living centers. Unfortunately any good pocket manual is going to be tiny text...that's whole point,condensation.

As a side note...what I don't like about smartphone apps is sometimes people think you're texting or on facebook. Something I'd like to avoid.

Maxwell's has an eye chart ;)

Be a big boy and get glasses or contacts. Problem solved.

I dont think life is as easy as you claim...:rolleyes:o

Also:..
I think Johnny is correct,, Go electronic. (most pockets books I see have real diminutive print)

And I apoligize for the pile of knuckleheads you had to sift thru in order to get decent info. Usually SDN is better then that but its the weekend!..

Last edited:
Okay I bought a Kindle. Let's hope this works. Thanks for the idea! I'll let you know in a week or 2 for anyone who is in a similar situation.

I like your bunny picture btw; reminds me of the holland lops I had before.

Is this an attempt at humor?

Guess no one can recommend a pocket book that is relatively easy to read.

No one makes a 50pt font size pocket book. If they did, it wouldn't be a pocket book. It would just be a regular book.

Use a regular pocketbook and get those bookmark magnifiers they have at all of the drug stores. It looks like a regular bookmark, so it shouldn't be too distracting.