"best" navy specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inflamesdjk02

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been unconditionally accepted (Navy) to attend USUHS in the fall ... does anyone have any information/experience as to what specialties and/or residencies are considered top tier? As of now, I really have no preference, and would like to go into something that offers good training (as opposed to some of the posts i've seen concerning AF primary care...) and is looked upon favorably within the system. Any input is appreciated. God Bless.

-DJK

Members don't see this ad.

inflamesdjk02 said:
Hey All,

I've been unconditionally accepted (Navy) to attend USUHS in the fall ... does anyone have any information/experience as to what specialties and/or residencies are considered top tier? As of now, I really have no preference, and would like to go into something that offers good training (as opposed to some of the posts i've seen concerning AF primary care...) and is looked upon favorably within the system. Any input is appreciated. God Bless.

-DJK

There are no Navy residencies of any type or any other military(Army or AF) residencies that are considered top tier as compared to civilian residencies. I would compare all residencies in the military to community level residencies in the civilian world.

All of your clinical rotations from USUHS will be at community level facilities(whether you are talking about USNMC portsmouth or USNMC Camp Lejeune) not University MC style settings.

That being said your best bet would be FP at bremerton since there are more similarities to good civilian programs.

usnavdoc said:
I would compare all residencies in the military to community level residencies in the civilian world.

please keep in mind your slice of the world is not representative of all specialties. the peds program i'm at sees stuff community peds programs wouldn't see in a million years. our referral base is huge, and being a "quarternary" referral center means the buck stops with us with complicated medical cases (with the exception of corrective repair of congenital heart disease). we even do kidney transplants now :thumbup:

i have no doubt you are correct in that some military residency programs are comparable to civilian community programs, but i encourage you think a little broader when making sweeping generalizations.

--your friendly neighborhood gettin' his edumacation caveman

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though you have no preferences now, you'll find yourself gravitating towards one of three divisions - surgical vs primary care vs one of the "ologies" (path, gas, rads). At that point you can begin to see what is offered where in the Navy. While it's definitely true that military residencies won't compare to the big, top-tier civilian university-based residencies, you'll still get a decent GME experience at most military residencies. When looking at various programs, ask the tough questions - board passing rates over last several years, scores on in-service exams, recent fellowship matches from program graduates, etc. Get the data so that you can compare programs objectively, because you can ask 10 different folks and get 10 different opinions about programs' strengths/weaknesses.

Congrats on the USUHS acceptance. Don't sweat the GME stuff yet. Enjoy Bethesda and good luck.

Homunculus said:
please keep in mind your slice of the world is not representative of all specialties. the peds program i'm at sees stuff community peds programs wouldn't see in a million years. our referral base is huge, and being a "quarternary" referral center means the buck stops with us with complicated medical cases (with the exception of corrective repair of congenital heart disease). we even do kidney transplants now :thumbup:

i have no doubt you are correct in that some military residency programs are comparable to civilian community programs, but i encourage you think a little broader when making sweeping generalizations.

--your friendly neighborhood gettin' his edumacation caveman

I see. So you would categorize your peds program on the same level as say CHOP? Or even a less known University Program? Well maybe you are right. But I highly doubt it. There is more to being a top tier program than a large patient base to work from. To be on track with a University Med Center you need all the other specialties in your hospital to be there in support at the same level you are talking about. You need strong didactics and publications from your dept. Not that I am a snob but there is something to be said about hearing a lecture from the physician who wrote the book on the topic.

Everything I have seen at Portsmouth, Bethesda, SD and now Camp Lejeune function on the level of a community hospital. Good or Bad That is Navy GME. All three have large patient bases to draw patients from and all three do a large number of bread and butter cases. But didactics in all places were not on par with a good civilian University program. Forget about top tier.

The largest problem with repairing Military GME is that people PCS and EAS. The stability at most programs is always in question. One year you may have a CT Surgeon. The next the guy from bethesda has to drive down two days a week to do cases. Then there are none. Just the way things work.

The next problem would be having to travel to put the check in the box regarding RRC curriculum mandates. Ie...Portsmouth Anesthesiology rotating through UVA. Portsmouth ED rotating through NY poison control center for toxicology. Portsmouth Gen Surg rotating at EVMS..granted not as problematic due to location. Similiar things are done at all Navy MTFs.

For me the right decision was Civilian GME. For others Military GME may be a fine place to train. To each his own. Im sure you can get a fine education in the military.

I have to whole heartedly agree with usnavdoc. Based on my rotations with the Navy, the didactic part of the education was slim. Most of the times, it involved the residents going through the textbook and writing up cheat sheets of the chapter.

Sure, most people pass their boards on the first attempt, but that's pretty easy to do when you have lots of time to study. Maybe usnav doc can tell more, but it doesn't seem like the residents are all that busy. At my current civie residency, things are pretty busy for every surgical specialty. The ORs are filled with a glut of obscure type cases as well as bread and butter stuff.]

The other part that's nice about doing a civilian residency is that you'll often do rotations where you get community experience. I think this is better rather than having to do rotations where you would get university experience.

Military trained guy here....it is community level.

No matter what any military guy tells you about how great they are...they just don't compare with a big university program...with the folks who wrote the book.

Simple fact.....with a lot of military folks who won't accept it....I didn't use to....but now I that I'm a little older...I'm willing to accept that I received only "acceptable" training....NOT world class...

"acceptable" training is acceptable......unless you really want worldclass....military training is ok.

Military trained guy here....it is community level.

No matter what any military guy tells you about how great they are...they just don't compare with a big university program...with the folks who wrote the book.

Simple fact.....which a lot of military folks who won't accept it....I didn't use to....but now I that I'm a little older...I'm willing to accept that I received only "acceptable" training....NOT world class...

"acceptable" training is acceptable......unless you really want worldclass....military training is ok.

usnavdoc said:
I see. So you would categorize your peds program on the same level as say CHOP? Or even a less known University Program? Well maybe you are right. But I highly doubt it. There is more to being a top tier program than a large patient base to work from. To be on track with a University Med Center you need all the other specialties in your hospital to be there in support at the same level you are talking about. You need strong didactics and publications from your dept. Not that I am a snob but there is something to be said about hearing a lecture from the physician who wrote the book on the topic..

CHOP is CHOP. sure, if you take the top 1-2% of programs and compare them to military GME, they won't compare-- but neither will 99% of the civilian university programs.

at our program i have personal contact on a daily basis with pediatric gastroenterologists, neurologists, cardiologists, developmentalists, neonatologists, adoloscent(ologists?? lol), infectious disease (ologists?), pulmonologists, nephrologists, radiologist, nutritionist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, psych, etc etc. we don't have peds rheumatology. that's pretty much it, lol.

usnavdoc said:
Everything I have seen at Portsmouth, Bethesda, SD and now Camp Lejeune function on the level of a community hospital. Good or Bad That is Navy GME. All three have large patient bases to draw patients from and all three do a large number of bread and butter cases. But didactics in all places were not on par with a good civilian University program. Forget about top tier. .

perhaps. my knowledge of portsmouth and lejeune is second-hand, and my experience at Bethesda is limited to peds and OB. the peds program there is the program i'm at (it's a combined NCC program) so everything above applies to it. hardly community caliber. the OB/GYN program, at least from an OB persective, is pretty busy. they have high risk pts (nothing like at inner city programs, as i have yet to see a "crack" baby or HIV+ mom) and run the navy's inertility program so they get a lot of advanced maternal age pts. other than that i can't comment-- but from my point of view they're hardly a community program, if only b/c everything difficutl gets sent there-- from all military facilities.

usnavdoc said:
The largest problem with repairing Military GME is that people PCS and EAS. The stability at most programs is always in question. One year you may have a CT Surgeon. The next the guy from bethesda has to drive down two days a week to do cases. Then there are none. Just the way things work. .

i agree wholeheartedly. continuity military-wide for the most part stinks. with EFMP you can try to keep people in general areas, but between pts and physicians the moving and ETSing makes things difficult.

usnavdoc said:
The next problem would be having to travel to put the check in the box regarding RRC curriculum mandates. Ie...Portsmouth Anesthesiology rotating through UVA. Portsmouth ED rotating through NY poison control center for toxicology. Portsmouth Gen Surg rotating at EVMS..granted not as problematic due to location. Similiar things are done at all Navy MTFs..

this isn't necessarily a bad thing, and is not uncommon even in civilian programs. we go to Children's National for a PICU rotation, and the surgery folks go there for peds surgery. other services fulfill requirements at other local institutions as well-- where i can see this being a problem is when you may have to travel outside of your local area for the rotation-- going 200 miles to fulfill an ICU rotation would really suck, lol.

i think residency is a crapshoot, regardless of where you go. the best advice i can think of is to really know the programs you are applying to so you can hopefully mitigate those programs' weak points through electives and self study, and to take advantage and maximize whatever positives the programs have.

--your friendly nieghborhood ready for dinner caveman

inflamesdjk02 said:
does anyone know about orthopaedics in the navy? good/bad?

I do not think there is a huge disparity between Civ and Navy ortho programs; at least not nearly as much as with Gen Surg.

Navy Residency
Pros:
light intern year
fellowhip trained faculty (from top fellowships)
excellent didactics (secondary to having more time for this)
residents get awesome fellowships
great training in sports
lighter day-day/call schedule (fewer cases, no Level I trauma)

Negatives:
Still can't go straight through (min. 2 year GMO)
Light in trauma (complex), peds, tumor
fair amount of away rotations
lots of clinic
may have to practice as a generalist for a few years before fellowship
lighter case load, less variety in cases

If you are able to you should rotate at both military and civilian programs to figure out which fits you. Ortho is currently one of the biggest needs in the Navy, if you want to do a civilian residency your chances of getting a deferment are good.

feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] if you have more questions.

Does anybody out there know anything about the chances of getting a navy fellowship, particularly in a pediatric subspecialty (such as neonatology or pediatric oncology)? This year there was a big fat "0" by the pediatric subspecialties slots -- is that policy or circumstance?
http://www-nshs.med.navy.mil/gme/Note1524.pdf

I am considering re-entering the military (hehe, like they say about 2d marriages: the triumph of optimism over experience! :p ) in a medical career field, and in the Navy this time. The catch is that I am NOT interested in primary care. While I don't mind accomplishing one 2-year GMO tour -- learning about the real live afloat Navy for a defined time-period may be interesting -- I wouldn't want to be stuck after a pediatric residency as a primary care pediatrician.

I'm considering using FAP at a later stage of my education to solve that problem, but I would love to hear that I could enter the Navy earlier and still have at least a non-zero chance of the medical career path I want (we all know that nothing is ever guaranteed in the military, of course.)

Thanks
-Pemberley