Best Neuroscience Books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedVelvet1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Please tell me if you know any AWESOME books for Neuroscience. I really need something good. We have a textbook by Perves, but I REALLY like the Secrets series. I need something simple and clean aside from BRS. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Concise Text of Neuroscience by Robert Kingsley is one of my favorite intro to neuroscience books. It is a great companion text for any medical neuroscience course. I think it is out of print, but you should be able to find it online.

Hello. Please tell me if you know any AWESOME books for Neuroscience. I really need something good. We have a textbook by Perves, but I REALLY like the Secrets series. I need something simple and clean aside from BRS. Thanks.

HY Neuroscience is probably far more concise than BRS. I didn't look at BRS, but HY was good and judging at the looks at it, it was pretty thick.

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases by Blumenfeld. It's not a light read, but worth going through along with your class.

HY Neuroscience is probably far more concise than BRS. I didn't look at BRS, but HY was good and judging at the looks at it, it was pretty thick.

$$..Agree.. Of all REVIEW books I used for steep 1.. I think Hi Yield Neuro was one that gave the "best bang for the buck" and "best bang for the amount of pages"...
Jim Fix is good!
Plus it could be read over and over and over again.. And you can draw circuits...:sleep:

For the first pass through Neuroscience (especially if you're a big picture type) I redomend the Clinical Neuroanatomy mad ridiculously simple (preferably interactive with the CD). By Goldberg. This gave me a good foundation and review for neuro and my professor even recommended it.

It's a really thin little book and pretty easy to read. I did so much better because this book gave me at least a broad stroke view.

Kandel is awesome. It also weighs like 10 pounds.

Kandel is awesome. It also weighs like 10 pounds.

I'm doing a combined BS/MS in neuroscience right now and all I can say is that I hope to God that Kandel is not the most efficient reference for learning neuroscience in med school :(

@ Ponger

you can try Clinical neuroanatomy by richard snell and NEUROBIOLOGY Molecules, Cells and Systems Gary G. Matthews :)

Haines is great because it has a lot of great questions at the end of each section to practice your knowledge. Also, Blumenfeld's Neuroanatomy thru clinical cases is pretty good to read alongside class notes.

For shelf/board prep, I think HY beats BRS for sure.

i like Nolte. its pretty hilarious, and maybe the best text book i have ever read--for any class.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but it's a top hit on google so I think a lot of people are still reading it and figured I'd put in my two cents.

None of these are going to be high yield, but if you don't have a good grasp on neuroscience, you're really going to just be memorizing a bunch of names of brain areas, neurotransmitters, tracts, without really getting how things work. I recently investigated what neuroscience textbooks are used by elite universities and came up with this list:

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make tables on this forum. Or even if you can? so to see this information in a clearer form, see a price comparison, and learn how you can buy the best textbooks for cheap, please check out my blog on the subject: What are the Best Neuroscience Textbooks? Which textbooks do elite universities use? And how you can buy them for cheap?

The three being used by multiple elite universities are: (easier to read in table format on the blog)

main-qimg-ccc40b183f2b2da38ab8cfbcff6b33b1

Bear, Connors, Paradiso: Neuroscience – Exploring the Brain

Used by MIT, Johns Hopkins, UPenn (Note the MIT class taught by the author, Mark Bear)

main-qimg-4ff0014a7dfcc6f8083deaf288090540

Kandel et al.: Principles of Neural Science

Used by Stanford, UCSF, Columbia

main-qimg-35376e3e8b1f155d543f0d6d109bfa9a

Purves et al.: Neuroscience

Used by Harvard, Columbia

Of these three, I used Bear as an undergraduate, and Purves as a TA for an undergraduate class. Bear is the most basic and most appropriate if you haven’t taken a college-level introductory biology class or if it’s been a while since you took one. If you know biology but not neurosciences, Purves may be better. Based on a conversation I had with a friend, if you already know some neuroscience, Kandel may be the most in depth.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi every body,
What neuroscience books would you recommend to someone interested in neurosurgery?