Best online site to buy Bond Funds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p9142

UR out of your element!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a bond fund to park my money in, but when I tried to buy one today at TD Ameritrade they wanted to charge me $50. Stock trades are only $10, so I'm not sure why they gouge you so badly on fund trades, but I'm not willing to pay $50 for that transaction (I would have to pay another $50 to sell it as well.)

Does anyone know of a site(online broker) who has good rates for bond funds?

Members don't see this ad.

so here's the deal - you were probably quoted a $50 transaction fee because you picked a mutual fund that's not "in their network." TD ameritrade, like most discount brokerages, has a wide variety of no-transaction fee funds (NTF) with preferred asset managers, so if you pick one of those, you don't pay that $50. I checked the list, and PIMCO funds are NTF at td, so you could go for one of their bond funds (min is like $5k though).

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommendations on a high yield bond etf? I would rather stick with Ameritrade so I don't have to deal with moving money around, so an etf looks like a good way to go.