Best Osteopathic School Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BottomUpDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im putting together a list of the best DO schools based on several factors.

Cost (Indiana Resident)
Location (located next to a hospital)
Match Rates

I should be able to take my pick and will be applying next year.
I am also considering Marion COM.
What is your top 3 to 5?

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard College of Osteopathic Medicine
Yale College of Osteopathic Medicine
Stanford College of Osteopathic Medicine

These would be my top three, but I'm also a fan of Princeton COM

Members don't see this ad :)

Cost (Indiana Resident)
Match Rates

What is your top 3 to 5?

Based on your criteria:

1)TCOM ( Separate application)
2) Lecom-B
3) NSUCOM
4)Western
5)AZCOM
6)OSU-COM

Personally my list of best DO schools/ school I would apply to is something more along the lines of...

1) PCOM
2) NSUCOM
3)UMDNJ
4) DMU
5) KCUMB
6) MSU
7) CCOM

RAFMAN>>>>

ayyy-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

This question is asked repeatedly, and the same answer always comes up because, well... it's true. That answer is... IT DEPENDS!

It depends on where you live, what field of medicine you are interested in (primary care vs. a specialty), where you want to practice in the future, what type of curriculum you enjoy (PBL, systems based, traditional), etc.

With that said... my personal preference for DO schools would be:

1. TCOM
2. DMU
3. KCUMB

I got invites from all the DO schools I applied to (except TCOM) but only interviewed at DMU and KCUMB... when I got the DMU acceptance, I dropped all the other upcoming interviews.

Cost (Indiana Resident)
Match Rates

What is your top 3 to 5?

Love the bolded :laugh:

All the best looking girls go to St. James.

Cost (Indiana Resident) KCOM has a pretty hefty tuition, but the cost of living is dirt cheap
Reputation KCOM is the oldest DO school....enough said
Temperature (higher is better) Kirksville has pretty similar temperature as in Indiana
Location (located next to a hospital) KCOM is located literally next door to a hospital (OK, yea, it's a small hospital but whatever). NOTE: Kirksville is RURAL
Match Rates Goes along with reputation....KCOM's got a solid match list

What is your top 3 to 5?

MY top five (in no particular order):

1. KCOM
2. DMU
3. TCOM
4. KCUMB
5. PCOM

Too bad your school is a crapshoot to get into =(. I pray my Maryland residency counts for something..

Such a crapshoot. 7500apps for 275 spots for the 2015 class. Funny, because if you went over to pre allo youd think they take just about everyone :rolleyes:

MSUCOM ftw!

Haters gonna hate.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply to any DO school you want, but as I told you in the other thread, it won't matter if you don't get your degree. Unless you are saying next year when you can complete your degree. But while we are on the subject, let's do a little experiment since you jumped on my ass for not knowing what I was talking about.

Does the OP have any chance of successfully matriculating to any DO schools without first finishing his degree?

And to answer your question, DMU would be my 1 through 5.

MSUCOM is the best DO school, unless you live out of state and have to pay that crazy OOS tuition :laugh:

You can apply to any DO school you want, but as I told you in the other thread, it won't matter if you don't get your degree. Unless you are saying next year when you can complete your degree. But while we are on the subject, let's do a little experiment since you jumped on my ass for not knowing what I was talking about.

Does the OP have any chance of successfully matriculating to any DO schools without first finishing his degree?

This is true, the OP has 0 chance matching into a DO program without a bachelors degree finished.

BottomUpDoc said:
I should be able to take my pick

I laff'd. Nothing is guaranteed in this process and it would behoove you to be humble about it. You don't even have an MCAT score yet, just an "expected" score. What do you even base this expected score on? Have you taken full length practice tests?

Also, no bachelors, no acceptance.

My top 3:

Western
AZCOM <---- WOOP
TouroNV

These are all primarily based on location, and reputation. I live in So. California.

Last edited:
MSUCOM is the best DO school, unless you live out of state and have to pay that crazy OOS tuition :laugh:

Or fill out that insane secondary lol. Dont even remember much about it since its been years but I do remember it was bat**** insane!

What was that thread about...just curious/bored?

Cost (Indiana Resident)
Match Rates

What is your top 3 to 5?

Go to a school with its own hospital system and in-house residencies/fellowships.

1. AZCOM
2. Western COMP

In order they accepted me.

That was a great read. Thanks for linking. Love how adamantly clueless people can be about admissions. But Yes, I can also confirm that without a bachelors degree the OP will only be able to secure a permanent residence in pre-medville. My acceptance is also conditional upon me receiving my degree, which as of last semester I now have :D.

Also, school rankings are only valid to the person who did the ranking. I had all 14 schools I applied to ranked, but once I started attending interviews I ended up throwing all the rankings out the window.

I don't know of any med student who didn't finish college. (Yeah, Rand Paul matriculated at Duke without a college degree, but that was 1984.)

I don't know of any med student who didn't finish college. (Yeah, Rand Paul matriculated at Duke without a college degree, but that was 1984.)

The only exception are (2-4 program) PharmD students, they can get into medical school without a bachelors degree.