Best PCAT self-prep? + $$$ cost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joleybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what PCAT prep would help me most? I don't have a lot of time and I can't take classes in person while in school because I have 3 kids and 2 have disabilities. Is there any prep materials that can fully prepare me? I am taking classes now, obviously, but I'd like to review and prepare at home. $ cost also would be nice to know because I will need to save up or use tax refund money to pay for it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Collins. I haven't used it myself, but if I had the money and time before my PCAT, I would've looked into it. New is around $600?? From last I checked. Used is over $100 but obviously much cheaper.

Personally I used the Kaplan book as my main study material. I supplemented with the internet for the math section and with a Learning Express study book (2011) for MICRO because Kaplan is dismally insufficient in that regard. I got a 97 composite. I did study about 1.5 months ahead for 1-2 hours a day.
I ALSO used the Pearson practice tests. Those were the MOST helpful in terms of practice because the content is exactly like the actual PCAT. Definitely invest in those!!!

Don't buy the entire Dr. Collins package!! Purchase/Borrow Chemistry section from someone.

I studied for 1 month for 2 hours a day using Dr. Collins and Kaplan at got 97 composite. For Chemistry, I used Dr. Collins packets. For Biology, I used the Kaplan book. For Reading I used Dr. Collins (but if you have an old SAT book, you could use that. Reading and Writing is not too bad). Math, I used Kaplan.
For the practice exams, I used the online ones that came with the Kaplan book and did both exams a couple weeks before my exam. My actual score was waaaay better than my Kaplan score lol.

I used Dr. Collins along with some Kaplan MCAT books, and got 99 composite (90+ in all sections). If you're looking to buy the newest version of Dr. Collins study guide package, I do have one for sale. Inbox me if interested, thanks! :)