Best PCAT Study Guide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UCF Knight

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that Dr. Collins is a good PCAT prep, but can someone better explain what exactly it is? I looked online and it's like $700 for a prep class and $400 for a self study and that's pretty expensive compared to just buying a kaplan PCAT book for $30. Why is Dr. Collins so good compared to others?
 
I know that Dr. Collins is a good PCAT prep, but can someone better explain what exactly it is? I looked online and it's like $700 for a prep class and $400 for a self study and that's pretty expensive compared to just buying a kaplan PCAT book for $30. Why is Dr. Collins so good compared to others?

A couple of my friends have it. Basically it is a package with concept review and bunch of practice tests. I heard it is concise and is a good representation of the test. It is a lot cheaper to just get a book like you said, but if you are too busy to go through the entire book or dont have time to review your textbooks, then get dr. collins.
 
I didn't take the class, but I did purchase the self-study package. What I found so helpful about it was the many included practice exams. It really helped me to work on my timing for the exam. I know that most of the books include practice exams, but there were more than 10 practice exams for the Math and Chem portions - I don't have it handy right now, so I can't say exactly how many, but by the time I went through these, I had no problem finishing those sections during the allotted time when I took the PCAT the second time around, and my score improved by a lot.

One other note as well - I was able to get copies of several of the PCAT review guides, including Kaplan, from my public library. I reserved copies of all of them, and then used them as needed.

Good luck!
 
I didn't take the class, but I did purchase the self-study package. What I found so helpful about it was the many included practice exams. It really helped me to work on my timing for the exam. I know that most of the books include practice exams, but there were more than 10 practice exams for the Math and Chem portions - I don't have it handy right now, so I can't say exactly how many, but by the time I went through these, I had no problem finishing those sections during the allotted time when I took the PCAT the second time around, and my score improved by a lot.

One other note as well - I was able to get copies of several of the PCAT review guides, including Kaplan, from my public library. I reserved copies of all of them, and then used them as needed.

Good luck!

PCAT Professor, an online service, worked great for me.