Best PDA for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roctown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating getting a Treo or a Palm and not sure if I should get Treo with palm software or Windows software. Just curious if anyone had any advice

Members don't see this ad.

roctown said:
I'm debating getting a Treo or a Palm and not sure if I should get Treo with palm software or Windows software. Just curious if anyone had any advice

Im curious about he treo 700 as well vs 650

I only have experience with the Palm model. I like the form factor of the 650. The screen resolution is pretty good. The software support is great. You can get epocrates, various rules software and calculators. Uptodate is currently beta testing a palm version of their software. I believe they already have a Windows based version.

Isn't the problem with the Treo is that you can only use certain cell services?

glorytaker said:
Isn't the problem with the Treo is that you can only use certain cell services?

Treo 650 is a Sprint phone.

I'm stuck in another year of my contract with Sprint. The Treo 700 with Windows based software is only for Verizon. And in the next month or so Motorola is coming out with the Q, which is going to be a Treo but much thinner, and I'm pretty sure that will only be for Verizon as well.

I think there was an issue that most medical programs were made for the palm operating system and not widows, but i think this situation has now pretty much been equalized.

roctown said:
I'm stuck in another year of my contract with Sprint. The Treo 700 with Windows based software is only for Verizon. And in the next month or so Motorola is coming out with the Q, which is going to be a Treo but much thinner, and I'm pretty sure that will only be for Verizon as well.

I think there was an issue that most medical programs were made for the palm operating system and not widows, but i think this situation has now pretty much been equalized.

Q sounds interesting. Ill have tcheck that out, May be worth waiting for as I too have a bit longer on my sprint contract

I have a Verizon Treo 650 and have been very happy with it. Most of the software I'd like to use is compatible with my phone. It's definitely easier than carrying around a cell phone AND PDA - since I usually only wear scrubs while at work (no white coat), it's nice to not have a ton of things hanging on the waist of the scrub pants. A Treo and pager is enough.

Does anyone have the lifedrive from palm? If so, how do you like it? Is it overkill for medicine?

Bobblehead said:
The Treo 650 is available for Sprint, Verizon and Cingulair.
I was going to get a Treo then I realized I couldn't have T-Mobile service with it. Anyone know what T-Mobile's equivilent of a Treo is?

glorytaker said:
I was going to get a Treo then I realized I couldn't have T-Mobile service with it. Anyone know what T-Mobile's equivilent of a Treo is?

I know you can get it with T-Mobile, cuz I know someone that has it, however, I think you may have to buy it unlocked (or unlock it yourself) and then order the service. I also looked on their website and noticed the Treo wasn't there, so maybe they aren't promoting it anymore, which could make the buy pricey!

southerndoc said:
The new Treos will be out in two months. I suggest waiting a bit.

Are you talking about this motorola Q? Or a Treo 700? Because I have already seen someone with a 700. Or is there a different one coming out?

I have seen in person both the 650 and 700, I personally do not like windows as it is very difficult to maneuver through compared to Palm OS (therefore do not like the 700). If you must get one now go with the 650 on cingular ($200 right now with 2yr contract).

If you can wait a bit, wait. I heard the next version of the 650/700 will allow you to use cell or wifi for internet. i think this would be a very nice feature esp in the hospital where wifi is free (currently 650/700 can only access internet via cell phone which increases your bill).

-J