You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Step I Best pharmacology review book?
Started by genswim24
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think the better approach to Pharmacology would be using flash cards instead of a book. I was debating between two different sets, and eventually took the plunge and bought this set -- Pharmcards 4th edition: http://www.amazon.com/Pharmcards-Re...7416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294415063&sr=8-1 It looks enormous and can be intimidating at first, but in reality it is not too many (skimmed them to get an idea). I haven't started board prep yet, so I am speaking hypothetically, but I think FA + this flash card set would be above and beyond what you would need (along with UW pharmacology). This set will also be useful for Step 2 CK for all the clinical correlations.
I've been making my own from FA as I go along. If you absolutely MUST have a pharm review book, pharm recall, katzung review and lippincotts are all good. Pharm recall is probably the quickest and easiest to carry around, Katzung has a great guide in the back as well as tons of questions and lippincotts is just kind of inbetween, but does a good job of explaining stuff and goes on a more individual drug basis than Katzung.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are these the kaplan flashcards you guys are talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Medica...7064/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1294609815&sr=8-5
http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Medica...7064/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1294609815&sr=8-5
They are referring to the Kaplan Lecture Notes, not those flash cards.
They are referring to the Kaplan Lecture Notes, not those flash cards.
Ahh, thank you. I did get the flash cards you suggested, they had a strong ratings to back up your recommendation.
👍Kaplan (plus videos), no question. If you must, annotate it into first aid.
👍👍I have pharm recall and kaplan usmle step 1 pharmacology lecture note book. I am partial towards the kaplan book, it has a lot more graphs etc in it.
Personally Katzung is gold. 4 page chapters with 15 questions after each chapter to ram it into your head. I remember drugs I wish I could forget about now...
Personally Katzung is gold. 4 page chapters with 15 questions after each chapter to ram it into your head. I remember drugs I wish I could forget about now...
Is this the Katzung book? I'm about to buy Step 1 prep materials and was looking for a solid pharm resource.
Yes that link is the book. Honestly it is gold. I use it for my classes as well and I don't have to read or study anymore to nail each pharm question the school throws our way. I would highly recommend it for a concise source with no BS to learn pharm. I like to understand the mechanisms rather than just purely memming pharm cards.