Best physical therapy specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTlife2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I really haven't found anything on sdn about what specialty everybody finds the most interesting. For example, orthopedics or maybe neuro?So what specialty do you guys enjoy the most in physical therapy?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
WCC. Because eschars and sloughs and gangrene and such.

EMG is pretty interesting for me, but I'm more likely to get the WCC along with NCS or GCS for the learning.

I've heard the OCS, NCS, etc. test your ability to take a test more than to clinically reason. Any opinions on this?

The CSCS is the easiest way to add letters to your name. It's about $1000.

I like the idea of vestibular rehab. Vestibular diagnoses are common and patients almost always get better.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are still a student, or going to be a student, I'd recommend keeping an open mind going in. You very well may find yourself leaning to or away from specialty areas and settings differently than you expected.

But personally, the area I enjoy is pediatrics, and specifically school-based pediatrics.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard the OCS, NCS, etc. test your ability to take a test more than to clinically reason. Any opinions on this?

I like the idea of vestibular rehab. Vestibular diagnoses are common and patients almost always get better.

I took the OCS this year. It is all about clinical reasoning, completely different from NPTE style questions. Prepping for any of the specialty board exams will make you a better clinician in my opinion.

The "best" specialty is the one that you feel most comfortable and confident in! For me, right now, I'm definitely interested in cardiopulmonary. :)

Reactions: 3 users

CSCS is actually only 460 ($120.o for membership +340 for test) or 400 if you are a current student.

Specializing is definitely a good idea, but I agree with the other posters. Wait til you get a little more into PT before deciding. AKA don't do all peds rotations b/c if you turn out to hate pediatrics, you want to have a breadth of background for when you graduate. Just my two cents! My favorite thing about PT is the flexibility :)

wondering if anybody did any of the mentioned certs above and if they indeed helped them.