Best place to get cheap lenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a fairly high prescription (-7.5, -6.5) and I'm trying to get a decent pair of progressive lenses without spending a ton.

Basically my choices are:

Zennioptical.com - Called them. They won't tell me what brand of lenses they use - probably some cheap Chinese generic. They don't even measure segment height - they guesstimate it. They do use 1.74 high index lenses though. ~Only $120 with frames though. I could order and hope for the best?

Costco - Told me that their Kirkland branded lenses are from Essilor (probably a customized rebranded blank). I'm not sure if these are better or worse than Ovations but at least they are willing to tell me where they came from. ~$170 for a 1.67 progressive which is really affordable

Lenscrafters - Quoted me $380 for a pair of Varilux Physio 1.67 high index lenses. Seems rather expensive.
 
Try Sam's Club too. I've always had my lenses filled there and had no problems thus far. If you are in the market for frames as well, maybe check out Warby Parker? They won't fill outside frames though, I don't think.