Best Post-Bac programs for Pre-Vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YareYare

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm posting on behalf of my GF. She hasn't had super great success this cycle and wanted to look into possibly doing a post-bac program to strengthen her GPA to apply again. Does anyone have any recommendations for good programs? Most seem to be focused on pre-med students but would those be acceptable as well?

She is a CA resident with a 3.4 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA but is open to travel if need be.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Illinois has an online vet med post-bacc. As far as I am aware it's the only true pre-vet post-bacc out there. I can't recommend it enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I'm posting on behalf of my GF. She hasn't had super great success this cycle and wanted to look into possibly doing a post-bac program to strengthen her GPA to apply again. Does anyone have any recommendations for good programs? Most seem to be focused on pre-med students but would those be acceptable as well?

She is a CA resident with a 3.4 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA but is open to travel if need be.

Thank you in advance!
University of Vermont has one - I am looking at it myself. Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program - UVM Professional and Continuing Education

The link is for PreMed but scroll towards the bottom and you'll see DVM/Veterinary.

When researching these programs, you may want to also look into terminal Master’s degree programs and see how they compare to the postbacs in terms of cost and what courses you can take as a Master’s student. If you do a Master’s program, you would not only be able to take a full course load to (hopefully) boost your GPA/show upward grade trend, but at the very least you would end up with a degree that may prove valuable down the road.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When researching these programs, you may want to also look into terminal Master’s degree programs and see how they compare to the postbacs in terms of cost and what courses you can take as a Master’s student. If you do a Master’s program, you would not only be able to take a full course load to (hopefully) boost your GPA/show upward grade trend, but at the very least you would end up with a degree that may prove valuable down the road.
I agree. Plus some masters programs give you a guaranteed interview at their vet school if you maintain a 3.0 GPA. Also, some have you take classes with the vet students and if you get at least a B, you don’t have to retake them if you get accepted to their vet school.

I agree. Plus some masters programs give you a guaranteed interview at their vet school if you maintain a 3.0 GPA. Also, some have you take classes with the vet students and if you get at least a B, you don’t have to retake them if you get accepted to their vet school.

Yeah look into LMU Masters Program as it is a bridge program to the vet school.

Illinois has an online vet med post-bacc. As far as I am aware it's the only true pre-vet post-bacc out there. I can't recommend it enough.

Awesome, will definitely have her look into it!

Thank you everyone for all the awesome suggestions and advice! I will definitely relay this info to her!

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!
Depends where she’s located in CA but CSU East Bay’s pre-health postbacc program is excellent

What's the reasoning for doing the post-bacc? Does she need to get pre-requisites done, or does she need to retake older courses or ones with poor grades? Is she looking more for a variety of classes, more support in the application process, or just trying to make a good impression?

For background, I did a formal post-bacc program at a very prestigious institution, and overall I regret it. First off, it absolutely wasn't worth the money to struggle through unnecessarily difficult classes that were taught poorly by very pedagogical faculty. Vet schools MOSTLY don't care where you got your pre-reqs done, other than a specific few (Cornell, Tufts, and Penn come to mind) - it's usually not worth it to pursue a post-bacc program just for the college's reputation. Classes are also very often available to enroll as a part-time or non-degree-seeking student at some great institutions, including main & satellite campuses of your state universitiies, and those are very acceptable! And finally, some programs probably have a good pre-vet advisor, but the vast majority of post-bacc programs are designed for pre-med students & don't have enough experience for the admin support to really be worth much money. I saved a ridiculous amount of money when I left my post-bacc and started searching for classes at local state & community colleges, and I had a much better experience taking the classes & getting the grades I needed. I ended up with 7 different transcripts at application time, and I still got in to 4 schools!

Last edited:
What's the reasoning for doing the post-bacc? Does she need to get pre-requisites done, or does she need to retake older courses or ones with poor grades? Is she looking more for a variety of classes, more support in the application process, or just trying to make a good impression?

For background, I did a formal post-bacc program at a very prestigious institution, and it overall I regret it. First off, it absolutely wasn't worth the money to struggle through unnecessarily difficult classes that were taught poorly by very pedagogical faculty. Vet schools MOSTLY don't care where you got your pre-reqs done, other than a specific few (Cornell, Tufts, and Penn come to mind) - it's usually not worth it to pursue a post-bacc program just for the college's reputation. Classes are also very often available to enroll as a part-time or non-degree-seeking student at some great institutions, including main & satellite campuses of your state universitiies, and those are very acceptable! And finally, some programs probably have a good pre-vet advisor, but the vast majority of post-bacc programs are designed for pre-med students & don't have enough experience for the admin support to really be worth much money. I saved a ridiculous amount of money when I left my post-bacc and started searching for classes at local state & community colleges, and I had a much better experience taking the classes & getting the grades I needed. I ended up with 7 different transcripts at application time, and I still got in to 4 schools!
Got in to 4 schools but with a high GPA? I have a 3.3 (lots of work experience during undergrad, great refs) and 3.7 science....and I didn't get in to 8 schools this cycle. So I too am considering what is next? Masters? Post bacc? I am feeling as if neither of those will help me and will cost quite a bit. Like others have mentioned, the vets I work for are really surprised I did not get in. So maybe Masters?

Last edited:
Got in to 4 schools but with a high GPA? I have a 3.3 (lots of work experience during undergrad, great refs) and 3.7 science....and I didn't get in to 8 schools this cycle. So I too am considering what is next? Masters? Post bacc? I am feeling as if neither of those will help me and will cost quite a bit. Like others have mentioned, the vets I work for are really surprised I did not get in. So maybe Masters?
I actually had very low overall & science GPAs - I believe they were around a 3.3 and a 3.0. I struggled badly in my post-bacc program, got multiple Cs & Ds in chemistry classes and had to retake two of them to even have my grades qualify. However, I did have a pretty high last 45 credit GPA, around a 3.7, since I had a number of earlier poor grades drop off the last-45 calculation & more high grades from my local university that got factored in. I have a couple thoughts: 1) what schools did you apply to? School choice can be key - I was not a good fit for UC Davis, UF, Tufts, Cornell, anywhere that heavily emphasizes GPA, but I was competitive at lots of other programs (Ohio State, Penn, Michigan, Minnesota, and others) who value a more holistic background. Unless there's an in-state option for you, it might be worth tailoring your apps to be schools where your profile is more valuable. 2) what feedback did you receive on your application from admissions offices? Did they offer a file review at all? I was able to have a good conversation with the Dean of Admissions at Illinois after I was waitlisted my first year - he mentioned that I was a good-but-not-great applicant, and he wanted me to highlight my unique experiences & diverse background more. Granted, I then got rejected outright from Illinois the following year due to them removing the GRE requirement, but overall I had way better results my second cycle.

All that being said, make sure all your "ducks" are in a row - make sure your letters of rec are excellent (mine weren't very well written my first cycle, even if very well-intentioned), make sure your essays are well-written and nuanced (get lots of feedback!), make sure you have not just veterinary experience but DIVERSE experiences (mix of large and small, different industries, specialties & GP, etc), and make sure you're highlighting what makes you unique & what you can bring to the school community. Interview prep & being articulate are also a huge help, although certainly plenty of interviewers know it's a stressful experience & don't expect perfection. Certain schools (Tufts, Cornell, UC Davis) also all really like to see research experience, try to add that on if you haven't already.

It sounds to me like your grades probably aren't the issue, assuming you aren't applying to schools that are grades-heavy, so I agree that more school is likely not the best or most cost effective idea. I'd look to the other areas of your app & see what you can improve there.

I actually had very low overall & science GPAs - I believe they were around a 3.3 and a 3.0. I struggled badly in my post-bacc program, got multiple Cs & Ds in chemistry classes and had to retake two of them to even have my grades qualify. However, I did have a pretty high last 45 credit GPA, around a 3.7, since I had a number of earlier poor grades drop off the last-45 calculation & more high grades from my local university that got factored in. I have a couple thoughts: 1) what schools did you apply to? School choice can be key - I was not a good fit for UC Davis, UF, Tufts, Cornell, anywhere that heavily emphasizes GPA, but I was competitive at lots of other programs (Ohio State, Penn, Michigan, Minnesota, and others) who value a more holistic background. Unless there's an in-state option for you, it might be worth tailoring your apps to be schools where your profile is more valuable. 2) what feedback did you receive on your application from admissions offices? Did they offer a file review at all? I was able to have a good conversation with the Dean of Admissions at Illinois after I was waitlisted my first year - he mentioned that I was a good-but-not-great applicant, and he wanted me to highlight my unique experiences & diverse background more. Granted, I then got rejected outright from Illinois the following year due to them removing the GRE requirement, but overall I had way better results my second cycle.

All that being said, make sure all your "ducks" are in a row - make sure your letters of rec are excellent (mine weren't very well written my first cycle, even if very well-intentioned), make sure your essays are well-written and nuanced (get lots of feedback!), make sure you have not just veterinary experience but DIVERSE experiences (mix of large and small, different industries, specialties & GP, etc), and make sure you're highlighting what makes you unique & what you can bring to the school community. Interview prep & being articulate are also a huge help, although certainly plenty of interviewers know it's a stressful experience & don't expect perfection. Certain schools (Tufts, Cornell, UC Davis) also all really like to see research experience, try to add that on if you haven't already.

It sounds to me like your grades probably aren't the issue, assuming you aren't applying to schools that are grades-heavy, so I agree that more school is likely not the best or most cost effective idea. I'd look to the other areas of your app & see what you can improve there.
Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts. I did apply to Tufts/Cornell but also Penn, Ohio State, VA/MD etc and did not even get interviews. My app reviews are in a month so we shall see. It may just be that I didn't highlight unique, although I'm not really sure how to do that. I have NIH Research experience but it was high school - but it should be worth something that I was accepted in HS to that program. I really am leaning toward no post-bacc or Masters. What would it be like if I invested in those and still didn't get in?? Every one of my rejection letters said something along the lines of "do not see this as a referendum on whether you belong in vet school, we had a large competitive applicant pool." But you know, if the trend is that only 3.9 and 4.0s are getting in........then I have some thinking to do. I do really appreciate your feedback.

Hi! I am looking into this program to hopefully strengthen my chances of finally getting accepted to vet school in the 2024-2025 application cycle (4th time's a charm fingers crossed), but I see that the website says this program in the 12-week format may be difficult to balance with a full-time job. What is your experience with this? I am currently the Lead Technician at my hospital and I am wondering if this would be too much to balance with my 7am-5pm work schedule. Thank you for your help!

Side note: I am already very familiar with the rigor and dedication that Graduate level courses require as I have recently completed a Master's degree, but I don't want to take on more than I can handle!

Hi! I am looking into this program to hopefully strengthen my chances of finally getting accepted to vet school in the 2024-2025 application cycle (4th time's a charm fingers crossed), but I see that the website says this program in the 12-week format may be difficult to balance with a full-time job. What is your experience with this? I am currently the Lead Technician at my hospital and I am wondering if this would be too much to balance with my 7am-5pm work schedule. Thank you for your help!

Side note: I am already very familiar with the rigor and dedication that Graduate level courses require as I have recently completed a Master's degree, but I don't want to take on more than I can handle!
I personally wouldn't recommend it, unless you would be comfortable with having a second full time job. I also believe the class meetings are in the mornings as well. 507, the first course covers 7 different body systems with a good amount of detail. I would have mind maps with like 60 different nodes, and a few pages of regular notes.

I personally wouldn't recommend it, unless you would be comfortable with having a second full time job. I also believe the class meetings are in the mornings as well. 507, the first course covers 7 different body systems with a good amount of detail. I would have mind maps with like 60 different nodes, and a few pages of regular notes.
Okay, thank you for your help!

If you're applying this cycle, the fall start would still work. I know a few people from my cohort got into vet school while still taking classes