Best Practice Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RubyRed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what people who have taken Step 1 feel about the following resources as good practice (I'm an M2):

Review of Medical Microbiology (Murray/Rosenthal)
-I've been going through this book and noticed/feel that some of the bacteriology questions...are a little out there. Has anyone worked through this book and found it helpful for the test?

Review of Pathology (Robbins/Cotran) vs. Utah WebPath
-Which do you think is better/a good indicator for what the path qs will be like? I've been doing both for each system as we've been taught, but was wondering if I could cut out one. The pictures on WebPath are amazing so I'd stick with those regardless. If I know all the questions in Robbins/Cotran in and out is that enough prep for Path? WebPath seems to be really popular but I've noticed a lot of the questions are similar to Robbins/Cotran...I'm torn!

From what I can gather, BRS physiology is pretty mandatory...I was a physio major in college so I feel like I have a pretty good foundation. How does BRS physiology compare to the physiology in FA?

My plan as of right now (6/15 test date):

Burn through BRS physiology
Continue working through FA
Do all of USMLEworld practice Qs
Know Robbins/Cotran
Know Murray???

Any advice is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what people who have taken Step 1 feel about the following resources as good practice (I'm an M2):

Review of Medical Microbiology (Murray/Rosenthal)
-I've been going through this book and noticed/feel that some of the bacteriology questions...are a little out there. Has anyone worked through this book and found it helpful for the test?

Review of Pathology (Robbins/Cotran) vs. Utah WebPath
-Which do you think is better/a good indicator for what the path qs will be like? I've been doing both for each system as we've been taught, but was wondering if I could cut out one. The pictures on WebPath are amazing so I'd stick with those regardless. If I know all the questions in Robbins/Cotran in and out is that enough prep for Path? WebPath seems to be really popular but I've noticed a lot of the questions are similar to Robbins/Cotran...I'm torn!

From what I can gather, BRS physiology is pretty mandatory...I was a physio major in college so I feel like I have a pretty good foundation. How does BRS physiology compare to the physiology in FA?

My plan as of right now (6/15 test date):

Burn through BRS physiology
Continue working through FA
Do all of USMLEworld practice Qs
Know Robbins/Cotran
Know Murray???

Any advice is appreciated

Robbins questions are gold. You master those you master the diseases related to those systems. I find them to contain enough depth to test multiple concepts. I would avoid Murray. I got it and had been using it but it seems like it would be better for microbiologists. Switch to the chapters that only have to do with the bugs and drugs and avoid the beginning bacteriology, cell biology, staining, etc... You could probably get a more concise version of those things in FA or even Cell Biology and Histology BRS.

Don't forget that if you buy Goljan's path book, you get access to 500 or so questions online on student consult website.