Best Pre-med App Boosters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SchoolboyQ

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some things that I could do that are out of the ordinary that would really help with med school admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say your robust rap career and oxy selling past already differentiate you quite a bit.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd say your robust rap career and oxy selling past already differentiate you quite a bit.

Hahahaha I should apply to pharmacy school with my knowledge of prescription pills :pigeon:

Members don't see this ad :)
Many medical schools like when an applicant has clinical exposure because it demonstrates that you are interested in the field and that you are motivated to become more familiar with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Join the US Military

Join the Peace Corps

Have > 1000 hrs of volunteer work

Have a publication in a peer reviewed journal. The higher the impact factor, the better.

OK, that's the top of the top of ECs. More down-to-Earth, service to others less fortunate than yourself is always sought after. Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Clinically, not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, Ronald McDonald House, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished or the dying) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

What are some things that I could do that are out of the ordinary that would really help with med school admissions?

Reactions: 2 users
What did OP do to get banned already???

EDIT: never mind, I just checked the post history. The guy just couldn't stay in remissions long enough. But the OP in this thread is a fair question....so it's a teaching moment.

OP will not be going to med school in this world or any other, with that pathology.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

EDIT: never mind, I just checked the post history. The guy just couldn't stay in remissions long enough. But the OP in this thread is a fair question....so it's a teaching moment.

OP will not be going to med school in this world or any other, with that pathology.
But he's 1/16 URM!

16 posts? Is that a record of some kind?

Sadly it probably isn't...

103114-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-Raj0.png

So he'll get a 15/16th rejection.

Yeah bro!

Here is a school list for you:

Harvard
Yale
JHU
Mayo
Mt. Sinai
WashU St. Louis
UCLA
UCSF
Columbia
Stanford
Upenn
Cornell
Duke
Uchicago
Case Western
Baylor

That's 16 so you should be :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah bro!

Here is a school list for you:

Harvard
Yale
JHU
Mayo
Mt. Sinai
WashU St. Louis
UCLA
UCSF
Columbia
Stanford
Upenn
Cornell
Duke
Uchicago
Case Western
Baylor

That's 16 so you should be :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
You forgot about:

Princeton-Plainsboro
Hollywood Upstairs

On a more serious note, these schools should be added as ultra-safeties:

Vandy
NYU
Pitt
Michigan
Northwestern
UCSD
Emory
UT-Southwestern

Reactions: 1 users
Join the US Military

Join the Peace Corps

Have > 1000 hrs of volunteer work

Have a publication in a peer reviewed journal. The higher the impact factor, the better.

OK, that's the top of the top of ECs. More down-to-Earth, service to others less fortunate than yourself is always sought after. Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Clinically, not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, Ronald McDonald House, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished or the dying) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.
You've posted this type of thing before and you should know that it is incredibly helpful. I have been doing a couple of your suggested EC's for the past year or so after seeing your posts and it has been a fantastic experience.
Thank you, good sir :cat:

what'd he do