Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Best prep books for the GRE Quant.?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by biogirl215, Dec 30, 2008.

1. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

Hi all,
    I ran a search but couldn't find any direct info on this... What books did you find most helpful in preparing for the GRE Quant.? Is Kaplan's GRE math workbook any good?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hermionephd

2+ Year Member

If you're really behind, like I was, I would start with the Cliff's Notes Test Prep for Standardized Tests (I don't remember the exact title, and I think I had to buy it used). It was great. After that, I would HIGHLY recommend Barron's.

4. OlliePsych

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I used Kaplan the first time I took the GRE and got one of the books that only had quant in it. I scored a 700 on the quant side. However, my second time taking it, I used princeton review and there were a lot of helpful tricks and tips that I found useful.

5. psychcavy

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Yes, Princeton Review definitely!

6. cara susanna

10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Official ETS prep book by far. And I've pretty much used them all. I really, really struggled with the quant section.

7. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

Thanks! Do you by chance remember the title?

8. psybee

psybee Psychology Grad Student!
    5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    i'd been out of school for 10 years (and had studied art before) so outside of regular life math (will this sofa fit up these stairs, how much to leave for tip, scaling a recepie) i remembered NOTHING of math, and i have some LD to boot. i'd gotten a 550 on the Q part of the SAT so i was worried. when i was just studying from the est prep books i struggled to bring my score up, because i was still weak in basic math knowledge and needed a real reiew. i got a basic college level math text--starting with things like division and moving to more advanced algebra and geometry. i did every single lesson (even the ones on long division and fractions) did every quiz and test, all before i began using the kaplan and ets books. i boosted my score 100 points--not amazing but fine for someone in my situation, and coupled with my high verbal score did quite well.

9. psychmama

5+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Psybee, your story sounds similar to mine. Before deciding to return to grad school, the last math course I'd taken was in 1978! In addition, I have a mild LD and got (no joke) a 480 on the math SAT:laugh:. I bought the prep and review books and basically taught myself Algebra and Geometry, and re-taught decimals, fractions, and more basic math concepts. I ended up with a GRE Quant score in the mid 600s. As you said, not a stellar score but respectable enough to allow me entrance to clinical psych doctoral programs.

I guess the moral of the story is that it's never too late to improve, especially if you want something badly enough.;)

10. cara susanna

10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Sorry for the delay--it's been a busy week!

It's called GRE: The Official Guide to the Revised General Test by ETS. Its verbal section is also excellent.