best programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cozmopak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may have been addressed before, but which residency programs in pathology are generally considered to be top tier? Or does it parallel medical school rankings?

Members don't see this ad.

This may have been addressed before, but which residency programs in pathology are generally considered to be top tier? Or does it parallel medical school rankings?

Dude do a search. Everyone will give you their top 5. Then, Yaah will tell you that each person's list is different based on what you are looking for in a program. Then, LA will tell you BWH trumps all.

(I've been reading SDN way too much).

Members don't see this ad :)
My reference was in respect to Boston programs...

Im no "Wise Latina" though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The program ranking is not, at this juncture, a "settled precedent".

Hopkins, BWH, Stanford = top of the top tier. Then all else.

I can't tell you which programs are the best. However, there is a way to tell a good one from a bad one...

1) Give me a list of every resident to finish the program since 2000, where they did their fellowship, and what was their first post-grad placement. Most good programs provide this information on their website, but if a program cannot or will not provide this information I would have serious reservations.

After #1 is answered to satisfaction, then ask yourself the following...

2) In what geographic area of the country do I want to practice?

3) What quality of life can I expect to have in this city on a resident salary for the next 5-6 years?

There you go.

The best program is the one that gets you the job you want, where you want it.
If you don't know where you want to live or you want to do academics, a prestigious place might be the way to go. On the other hand, if you know where you want to be, a local program could easily be just as good. My practice has 18 pathologists, but nearly all of us came from local programs and were interviewed based on the recommendations of the very same attendings that trained us.
That said, the one person who came to us from afar trained at MGH.