Best PTCB Study Guide Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

URIPharmacy

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey there,

I want to start studying and eventually take the PTCB exam. I wanted to get opinions on recommended study guide books, I've been researching and find pros and cons to all of them, so I just wanted to get some recommendations 🙂

I know if you work in a pharmacy they usually help you out, but I can't get a job in any pharmacy's so I am trying to get my pharmacy tech licensure so I can start volunteering in a hospital pharmacy.

Thanks!
 
You don't need a pharm tech license to volunteer at a pharmacy. I said this in another post but if you do volunteer, you don't really have much responsibilities due to liability reasons. But if you can't get a job (which would be the better option), then at least you'll get some experience through volunteering.

As for the PTCB exam, I think Mosby's is really good. Check that one out.
 
I used Mosby's pharm tech review guide for the test and felt prepared (and passed!)

I think it differs by state, but for me just passing the PTCB test was not enough. After getting the PTCB certificate I had to apply for my California tech license before I could actually be a "pharmacy technician" at my work. It took TWO months for them to process my application, so before that I was just a clerk.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the book ideas. I'd preferably like to have a paid job in a pharmacy, but no place is hiring. I'm in RI and thought maybe by getting certified as a pharmacy tech, and licensed it might make it easier to try to get work experience. I can't find any pharmacists that will take a shadow, either 🙁.

I'm going to check out mosby's now!
 
How long will I need to wait to get the result after I take the PTCB exam?

It is 90 questions multiple choice, on a computer. So after you click on finish, it tells you if you passed!!

It took a couple of weeks for me to get the certificate in the mail.